UFS Why can't I mount volume for external local backup disk?

@ T-Daemon,
Before I take action in response to your above reply (25) I need your comments in relation to the following boot message that has occurred in the meantime.
Code:
"The following file system had an unexpected inconsistency
  ufs:/dev/da0p1 (/data)
  error aborting boot
/bin/sh[/file] on /etc/rc terminated abnormally. going to single user mode
  enter full path name of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh

Is this error somehow linked to your prescriptions in (20)?🎣

I have not made any changes to the new AMD64 installation, other than following your recommendations in (20) and also trying to get it working with /data in lucky backup. Would the backup attempts have resulted in the boot error? Or do you suspect something else, e.g., I thought da0pl related to the boot metric & da0p2 to ufs, but here we are using the former in the installation.

I take your point about refraining from doing a complete system backup, however, would it be theoretically possible to do so given an exclusion definition for the /data directory?

Coming from Windows, with virtually no experience with Unix, I expected to see two directory structures in lucky backup, one for the external hard drive & one for the internal drive, but you seem to have now explained that away with the need for the exclusion aspect.

Thanks again for your help

Last edited by a moderator:
The following file system had an unexpected inconsistency
ufs: /dev/da0p1 (/data)
error aborting boot
/bin/sh on /etc/rc
terminated abnormally. going to single user mode
enter full path name of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh"
USB devices tend to change device names, in particularly when a few are plugged in at the same time. When we set /dev/da0p1 in /etc/fstab the system is attempting to mount exactly the given file system, but it can't if the device name has changed and ends up with a boot error.

Maybe you remember executing gpart add -t freebsd-ufs -l exdatafs -a 1M da0 when initializing the device. The -l exdatafs option labels the device by name "exdatafs". I was planing to use that in fstab, but forgot it later to mention. Sorry about that.

To correct the error unplug all USB devices, plug in the backup device only, power on the PC. The device name should be /dev/da0p1 again,
edit /etc/fstab as shown below.

If not, or you want to widen you knowledge about the system follow the advise presented at the screen, press the RETURN (Enter) key. The screen will show a # .

The keyboard layout will be US, adapt accordingly. Execute mount, look for / if it's mounted read-only. If it is execute mount -rw / continue with ee /etc/fstab, if not continue with ee /etc/fstab, change
Code:
/dev/da0p1     /data            ufs     rw      2       2
to
Rich (BB code):
/dev/gpt/exdatafs     /data            ufs     rw,noauto      2       2
noauto flag won't mount /data during boot, in case the device is unplugged. Otherwise the system ends up in single user mode again.

Press Esc, press twice Enter (Return), execute exit, system will boot in multi user mode.

Is this error somehow linked to your prescriptions in (20)?
No, but I neglected to mention the device naming in fstab.

I have not made any changes to the new AMD64 installation, other than following your recommendations in (20) and also trying to get it working with /data in lucky backup. Would the backup attempts have resulted in the boot error?
No.

I take your point about refraining from doing a complete system backup, however, would it be theoretically possible to do so given an exclusion definition for the /data directory?
Yes. In the sysutils/luckybackup program window choose the task from the "Task list", activate "modify" button, or when adding a new task klick the "Advanced" button in the "Task properties" window, choose the "Exclude" tab, beneath "Templates" at the botom is the "User Defined" section, in the text box left of the "add" button enter /data, execute "add", check with "validate", confirm with "Okay", proceed with backup.

I do things differently to mount an external drive, but carry over a lot of knowledge picked up on my own from a previous existence not necessarily considered good practice here.

When I'm setting up a new system I open x11-fm/xfe as root then create a /media/da0s1 directory that survives reboot.

I mount my USB sticks manually with # mount -v -t msdosfs /dev/da0s1 /media/da0s1.

Larger drives with # mount -v -t msdosfs -F32 -o large /dev/da0s1 /media/da0s1 and had a USB 500GB HDD I used to store data with that command.

File transfer as root works manually, like I want it to, with my usr a member of the wheel and operator groups. I don't manually edit /etc/fstab at all:

Code:
# Device    Mountpoint    FStype    Options    Dump    Pass#
/dev/ada0a    /             ufs     rw         1       1
/dev/ada0b    none        swap      sw         0       0

Coming from Windows, with virtually no experience with Unix, I expected to see two directory structures in lucky backup, one for the external hard drive & one for the internal drive, but you seem to have now explained that away with the need for the exclusion aspect.

This may be of some help. You already have your system set up but it shows different system files that require editing, how to set up pf firewall, etc.:

You guys are so knowledgeable, I'm so envious. How long did it take you get to this point?
I can sort of understand why hand fed Windows users would find changing over a daunting task, when they can't find the intuitive answers they are used to.
Linux distributions & Unix operating systems try to go some way to accommodate those users with graphic interfaces but as I have found that's not going to get you very far to understanding their other important machinations.

It's really like going to a country with a different culture. So, in that sense I'm only a little way along to learning the language.

Thanks so far, since I'm sure I'll be back to the trough for more!

I can sort of understand why hand fed Windows users would find changing over a daunting task, when they can't find the intuitive answers they are used to.

We don't hold your hand here and it's expected you do your homework before asking questions but if you have a problem you can't work out someone will always help you out.

Nobody will tell you it's easy. I had a hard time because I didn't think the FreeBSD Handbook applied to the variant I was using at the time, or something, so I figured everything out on my own and searched google for answers.

It took a long time for me to figure out some of the simplest things. Like how to configure /etc/aliases correctly so I could receive my security reports, so I know how it can be for new users.

I taught myself to use ports though too so it can be done if you put your mind to it. A lot easier if you read the Handbook. :p

Back