Why all of innovations come from elsewhere?

• Thread starter Deleted member 63539
  • Start date
If X software is proprietary, and Y software is open source, but Y application is useless shit or functionally inferior; I will be using X software to get work done.

I used to think that where proprietary software is *always* inferior to open-source software was lifespan. You cannot choose that, the business director behind the company developing the software decides that. In the ideal world this would possibly be true but looking at crapware like Gnome 3, I can quite clearly see that Gnome has in-fact died and a completely different project with the same name has been started.

However, I certainly don't actively seek to use proprietary software (which I feel is a common mistake made by those coming from Windows).

I believe this is what the GPLv3 aims to be.
Hmm, perhaps but it just doesn't seem to be "restrictive" enough. Perhaps we shall wait until v4. "You are not allowed to use this software unless you have a UNIX(-like) beard".

Whereas I largely agree with you, the interesting question to me is "are the GPL fanatics wrong?" I'm not sure. Quoting Adrian Chadd:

There's at least one important exception:

This is impossible to know how much GPL (or any open-source) code is used in proprietary software since they are proprietary... a GPL developer can just assure its compliance when this is possible to somehow check if some software comply if it.

The Falcon 9's onboard operating system is a stripped-down Linux running on three ordinary dual-core x86 processors. The flight software itself runs separately on each processor and is written in C/C++.

Interesting, but the article doesn't explain what the "SpaceX Onboard OS" actually do and that is fundamental in this context, because this information alone means absolutelly nothing in practice. These kind of complex vehicle are never running with one "computer" but several, sometimes thousands, maybe millions of heavy specialized embedded ones...

If you compare with modern advanced ships, there are hundreds but sometimes thousands of separated tiny computers: engines, radars, lighting, locks, hydraulic, propulsion, power/main switches, navigation, communications, zillions of sensors etc. The best I can understand as "Onboard OS" in this scenario is some kind centralized user interface connected to some SCADA system to ease the operation from the bridge; something like "Wärtsilä NACOS Platinum".

Also, I have no idea of the regulations related with space activities, and I don't have idea if this software needs to be certified[1] somehow but if it needs the amount of Linux code is so little that it doesn't pose super extra costs (including time) to certificate, otherwise that would be cheaper to proof the code (use of formal methods) which almost always lead to re-write the whole existing code (better simple write a new one from the begining), and then that would not be Linux anymore.

[1] I suppose it is not because people avoid C++ like a plague when the software needs to be certified (among the worse to proof, and by a large margin), except when there is a real intention to make the development costs skyrocket (pun intended), a quite common practice of the USA defense establishment btw. Otherwise, the most used language is Ada (SPARK in particular) followed by C.

Also, I have no idea of the regulations related with space activities, and I don't have idea if this software needs to be certified...
The Falcon 9 had to be rated to carry humans by NASA. The certifications were numerous and involved. There are hundreds of links I could post on the subject, but I'm just going to post this one because of the delicious irony:

The Falcon 9 had to be rated to carry humans by NASA. The certifications were numerous and involved. There are hundreds of links I could post on the subject, but I'm just going to post this one because of the delicious irony:

This is not how it works, when there is actual certifications requirements this obviously of the best interest of the owner of the code (SpaceX in this case) to pay to get the software certificated, otherwise they would not be allowed to operate the vehicle. Also, the certification should happen against a specialized set of rules, what does not seems the case. They talk about "safety review" but of what and how? Operational safety, software design assurance, runtime errors, etc. and against what?

The certification rules should be in place since day zero, before doing anything, because the software should be designed to match those rules in first place. If you try to certify a "random" designed software (ever with it is perfect and have no bugs) against a formal set of rules you get 99% of chances to have to re-design and re-write at very least a large part of it, but quite more likely the whole thing.

Also, they are comparing the SpaceX with 737 Max controversy which is in a complete different field (one is aviation the another is space), in this sense they could also compare the SpaceX with railway implementations too. Yet, avionics and railway have very clear set of international formal rules for certification purposes, and the 737 Max controversy happened exactly because those rules were not respected, the authority turned blind to a lot of things.

I don't follow space market but every time I see something about SpaceX, I see they telling how many advanced "cool" things they did to lower the costs, but they never explained why, after all of that, the actual SpaceX launch cost[1] is considerably higher than the Soyuz, while bringing ZERO benefit to the client.

[1] this is more than well know (they just need to officially assume it at this point) the price they charge is heavily dumped, otherwise they simply can't be competitive against the Soyuz, specially because SpaceX have absolutely no track record.

Cursory Google search yields:

I'm not going to look into this for you any further. Nor am I going to engage your argument about Soyuz v. Dragon costs beyond saying that I would require more than your opinion. Besides, we're way off topic.

I'm not going to read 60 pages but I skimmed and found some minor certifications things, and they don't look quite related with software design and certification; however they can do wherever they want, but yet the fact they compare space with aviation already tell a lot of about them.

An argument about behind the scenes costs is irrelevant, there is only two really relevant points from the client point of view:
  1. how much it will cost to err.. put the satellite in orbit;
  2. the risks involved. What are the chances of the product not getting in there or be destroyed for some reason?
And SpaceX have both playing hard against them, except because they are heavily[1] dumping the price, and of course available political pression running behind the scenes. Also, I'm quite sure NASA have quite good reasons to keep purchasing seats on Soyuz as backup, when they have the brand new SpaceX stuff to dispose.

[EDIT]

One thing common to all heavy industries is the labor cost playing a pretty heavy hole in the costs sheet, often begin responsible for +50% of the total cost. Raw materials usually don't get even close of what people think it is in the total cost.

Labor in US is very expensive, in Europe even more, while in Russia labor cost is just a fraction of those. There is little to no possibility of SpaceX to be able to build a spaceship in USA (specially a considerably more complicated one) cheaper than the Russians unless with heavy subsidies.

There are very good reasons for Boeing, Airbus[2] and almost every other major aircraft producer to build the most complicated and expensive parts (specially the wings) of their products in Russia.

[EDIT]

If you are thinking about the reusable stuff, yes it can play a hole but first of all there is something called "fatigue crack", heavy limiting the amount of times the part can be reused and rather increasing the maintenance cost, since that part mandatory needs to pass thought a very detailed inspection (made by heavy specialized and expensive professional) every time it is used.

Also, the reusable part need to be rescued later, and this is supposed to happen at the sea... do you known how much it cost to fill the tank of a large ship? Easily $1M USD, the whole rescue operation should probably cost not less than $3M USD but in practice more like $5M USD (I in fact believe this is actually more because the service providers would charge a lot of more than the usual for this purpose).

Put all this extra cost together to rescue something you have no guarantee you will actually be able to reuse, and this whole reusable thing start to not look so great.

[1] and this is not my opinion, but a well know fact.
[2] Airbus also build in other places since they follow a more distributed strategy, and also more aircraft than the others.

The term innovation is an abstract object (that's my opinion). Similar to number, science, lunatic, etc.
You can argue about them forever. They are good subjects for debates, bad material for friendship.

The term innovation is an abstract object
I think the same.
Apple is a good exemple for me about UI/UX. The innovation is not in hardware or software for Lisa. (Except for the cheaper mice) but in guideline and framework. (Resedit show that for menu entries, icons ...)

For FreeBSD, the organisation of the project is innovative (and democratic). That is for me a strong reason about the impress of lack of innovation in FreeBSD. All modification is a shared view of a «path» so there is no broken change for change. And this is often the perception of the innovation (because we remember easily breaking change).

Reactions: a6h
However, I certainly don't actively seek to use proprietary software (which I feel is a common mistake made by those coming from Windows).

I wish software discovery were better in the open source world. The Freshports website isn’t really conducive to helping users easily find new (And perhaps good) open source software, and showcase what it does in action. It could use a more interactive re-design IMO.

My friend has a very strong hatred for FreeBSD. The reason he gives me is that OS just a copy cat and didn't invented anything. So he's not respect such OS and foretell that when there is nothing left for that copy cat to copy, it will just die because of shooting itself on the foot. Then he gives me examples. All of the selling feature of that OS, is taken somewhere else:

May I suggest your friend get a life. Hatred of an OS seems to indicate a very narrow view of the world.

But, regardless, I guess you might inform him that every OS and Kernel (like Linux) is a copy of another, in either concept, design or both. Linux (not an OS) is inspired (ahem) by Minix.

Everything in this world is copying someone and something else. Housing, politics, planes, ships, drugs,clothing, culture etc. If your friend can name anything singularly unique, then have him/her state it, otherwise suggest they get a dose of reality real soon.

Even God apparently created heaven and earth and when we look out into the heavens, it's just the same stuff repeated to infinity. [Ok, the universe will eventually collapse]. So even God copied! ;) O:‑)

He hasnt looked hard.

Ports tree, although its declining from its hay day.
ZFS I suppose can say this came from elsewhere, but it wasnt from linux.
sysctl counters.
A certain threading library originated on FreeBSD.

Back