Solved Who is Charlie?

An Easter Egg? I've searched in g**le (I know, I know, but it's not meant as a company name. The trouble is, this word became so vulgar [what in latin orginally means widely spread, and I think it's a perfect word in this case, consider sentences like "go g**le yourself" or "g**le off", they have obvious meaning for everyone], that when you search something, the only answer you find is to search in g**le. But I've already g**led myself, thank you! So I think using this word when you don't provide also a good answer for the question itself should be entirely forbidden by the netiquette, that's why I've starred it) and found nothing. To the point, when I check in Nautilus (Gnome2 from FreeBSD 10.1 amd64 Release DVD), root files appear to be owned by Charlie. Is it a result of some GNOME developer's sense of humour? Or maybe something more dire?

Does Nautilus (which I don't use) have an option to show the real name of a user? In that case, you're likely looking at the root user's 'real' name, Charlie Root (see password file).

root files appear to be owned by Charlie
Charlie is the traditional owner since 1970 of the root account on the UNIX systems. So it has nothing to do with Gnome. I could give you reason why but you seems ready to hurt somebody because of that.

Charles Emory Root (b. 1861) was an American dentist and inventor. Combining those interests, he invented and then popularized toothpaste. Later, he was one of the key importers of ginger into the United States, and it eventually became known as "ginger root". Other inventions were not so popular. The automatic flugelhorn, the collapsing ladder, and the self-winding backpack found almost no audience, either at the time of their introduction or even now, within the hipster movement. However, Root's notoriety persists, and many aspects of Unix systems were named after him or his inventions.

Root died in 1958 while setting a land speed record with a fourth-generation, gas-powered, self-winding backpack, but his legacy lives on.

Oko, firstly, hope you are feeling better. I believe wblock@ was being slightly tongue-in-cheek--though your English is better than most native speakers I know, it's easy to miss, I didn't catch it till the ginger root part.

EDIT:

Blah, and as a native English speaker, that was poor phrasing on my part. I mean that although you have better English than many native speakers I know, to a non-native speaker, the fact that wblock@ was making a joke can be easy to miss.

• Thanks
Reactions: Oko
DutchDaemon I can't find the option, for my user name it shows only one entry, that's why I wasn't sure. Indeed, it's in the password file, thank you for the info :)

Oko Reasons are always a good thing, I think it is much, much worse to hurt someone without one ;) And if you had to g***le yourself all the time, you would became angry too, it's much more pleasant when someone does it for you!

wblock@ Oh, THAT Charlie! I think you forgot to mention that during one of his (not so) successful trials with his backpack, he had tumbled upon the barn full of corn and thus invented Popcorn. And surely his greatest discovery of all time is the quadratic formula - he started to work on this to find, what we now call, the root of all evil. Alas, with time, b^2 - 4*a*c (where a is the number of Antichrist, which is 27 [the number of God, 72, backwards], b is the famous number of the Beast, and c is the number of all computers in the world) became less than zero, and the root (actually roots, it's more than one as he had found out) became too Complex!

Back