Solved White screen when trying to install FreeBSD

Hi,

I am trying to install FreeBSD in 1 of my node on a Dell PowerEdge C6220 II and every time I tried, I get a white screen and I cannot proceed.
I select boot from USB, then some kernel stuff load on the screen just before going white.

I have uploaded a short 40 seconds video showing the issue here. (the video is showing FreeNAS but the end result is the same)

I tried to install on the other nodes, but the issue is the same. Maybe a bios things?

I really hope someone here can help me.

ps: I have the same issue when trying to install FreeNAS OR FreeBSD.
Is there a known issue with *BSD and the PowerEdge C6220 II

This is the guide I am trying to follow.
In my setup, I did not create the raid array as I want to use zfs so hoping direct access to HBA

I'd try to help but I honestly don't have enough info to be helpful. I don't use FreeNAS, and even if I did, I can't read anything in the video. Also, I've never personally experienced anything like this particular problem, so I can't really draw from my own experience.

Just guessing that the problem might be with the choice of monitors. Do you have another monitor you could try?

If not, could you maybe make another video with the camera closer to the screen so we can read it? I can't read anything. I can only guess at what it's saying during the bootup. Also it might help if the video was FreeBSD instead of FreeNAS.

Thanks.

Hi,

The original post shows the video for FreeNAS but the end result is the same on FreeBSD.
I am trying to install FreeBSD on 1 node and FreeNAS on another node.
I updated to latest bios update but the issue is still the same.

I swapped the monitor to a different brand and the issue is still there.

The version I was installing is FreeBSD11.2. I have now tried with FreeBSD12 to see if its a bug that got fixed but I still get a blank screen.
Here is the video loading FreeBSD12 and NOT FreeNAS.

The last error on the screen before going blank is:
Code:
failed to allocate initial I/O port windows: 0x1000-0x1fff

Thanks. This is definitely over my head, but at least we can now read the messages. Now that we have more info, I'm hoping maybe someone with more hardware experience than I have can look at the video and diagnose the error. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

yes, escape to the loader prompt then type:
gop list
gop set 0
boot

or try different resolution from the list.
if this doesn't help try to set hw.vga.textmode=1 or switch to legacy BIOS boot and use sc instead of vt

edit:
if you are using legacy BIOS boot instead of UEFI then you can type
set kern.vty="sc"
boot

VladiBG
I escaped to the loader prompt to allow me to do the insta llation.
Once the installation was complete, I ended up with white screen again but via ssh I set /boot/loader.conf with
Code:
hw.vga.textmode=1
because kern.vty=sc didn't work

Thank you very much for your help :)

You may want to upgrade your BIOS. There's "urgent" release for Dell PowerEdge C6220 II BIOS Version 2.9.0
This is very interesting...
When I am login to the Dell Website with the business account, this update doesn't show up in the list of updates but if I logout and search for it .. it just shows up.

Thank you very much for pointing this update to me :)

The white screen issue was not solved by the bios update tough but I have a workaround :)

Back