which way is better to have 8.2 stable

A RELEASE is a snapshot of the source tree, whereas STABLE is a branch. This means STABLE is changing on a regular basis. As you can see by the date of the link you pasted, that snapshot is fairly old. Also, if you have a working system with 8.2-RELEASE there's no need to wipe it.

You can update your source tree and do a buildworld. Another option is to use the binary updater, freebsd-update(). If you have a generic kernel no compiling will be necessary. If you have a custom kernel you will have to build/install a new kernel.

So, either of your options will work. If you want a recent snapshot of STABLE either go with buildworld or a binary update with freebsd-update.

BTW, If I upgrade my 8.0-RELEASE to 8.2-RELEASE, it's just as following;
Code:
# freebsd-update -r 8.2-RELEASE upgrade
Should I do this
Code:
# freebsd-update install
?
What should I do next?

mingrone said:
Another option is to use the binary updater, freebsd-update().
You can't update to -STABLE or -CURRENT with freebsd-update(8).

The freebsd-update tool is used to fetch, install, and rollback binary updates to the FreeBSD base system. Note that updates are only available if they are being built for the FreeBSD release and architecture being used; in particular, the FreeBSD Security Team only builds updates for releases shipped in binary form by the FreeBSD Release Engineering Team, e.g., FreeBSD 7.3-RELEASE and FreeBSD 8.0, but not FreeBSD 6.3-STABLE or FreeBSD 9.0-CURRENT.

SirDice said:
You can't update to -STABLE or -CURRENT with freebsd-update(8).

D'oh of course. I just read that the other day in the top paragraph of the man page too!

...only available if they are being built for the FreeBSD release and architecture being used.
So, @mfaridi cancel the freebsd-update() option. Sorry for spreading misinformation and thanks for the correction @SirDice.

@htutt, to upgrade from 8.0-RELEASE to 8.2-RELEASE with freebsd-update():

# freebsd-update upgrade -r 8.2-RELEASE

Configuration files will then be updated. Once that's done,

# freebsd-update install

# shutdown -r now

Once the system reboots run
# freebsd-update install
again to install new userland components.

thanks all guys
so I ust type
Code:
freebsd-update upgrade -r 8.2-stable
and then type
Code:
freebsd-update install
and then type
Code:
shutdown -r now
and after reboot I type
Code:
freebsd-update install

@mfaridi, you will have to update your sources to the 8.2-STABLE branch and then do a buildworld as described in the handbook. As was pointed out by @SirDice, freebsd-update cannot be used to update to the STABLE branch. My first post was incorrect. Sorry for the confusion.

@ALL
To upgrade 8.0-RELEASE to 8.2-RELEASE, how much size of data in (MB or GB) have to be fetched? I have less than 512 kb speed and since yesterday I've started, but until now not yet finished. :D

@SirDice
It is too much for its connection. I think I should do rollback, shouldn't I? Maybe later FreeBSD 9 and ask for CD/DVD where download speed is fast and install new release. Upgrading to 8.2 makes me aged and die. :)

wblock@ said:
I have 543M in /usr/src.
Odd, I wonder why we have different sizes?

Csup'ed RELENG_8 yesterday and did a # du -sk /usr/src/ to get my value.

% du -hd0 /usr/src
Code:
543M	/usr/src

csupped immediately before. Maybe you have 100M of local patches? :)

I shouldn't have o_O

Perhaps it's some old stuff.. I've been using this tree for quite a while.

Oh, well. When I'm done building I'll clean out the lot and start fresh. Or maybe move the old stuff out of the way and see what the difference is.

I'm at 1.5 GB for a FreeBSD 9.0-RC1 /usr/src from subversion... Wonder what the blow-up is there.

DutchDaemon said:
I'm at 1.5 GB for a FreeBSD 9.0-RC1 /usr/src from subversion... Wonder what the blow-up is there.

I'd guess all the .svn directories.
% find /usr/src -name .svn -exec du -hd0 {} \+ | less

First one with compression off:

Code:
NAME                      USED   AVAIL  REFER  MOUNTPOINT
zroot/usr/src             686M   898G   686M  /usr/src

Second one with compression on:

Code:
NAME                      USED  AVAIL  REFER  MOUNTPOINT
zroot/usr/src             352M   220G   352M  /usr/src

However in order to get an accurate size you would have to first:

[CMD=""]# chflags -R noschg /usr/obj/usr[/CMD]