Which version of FreeBSD for RPi 1 Model B ?

I've increased /tmp and managed to install mc() so I already feel at home :).

Now looking for something to do with my RPi...

Hook up a button and an LED. Then do something fun: Use the button as a (very small) percussion instrument, try to guess the rhythm (cha-cha, valse, funeral march, tango, ...), and play appropriate music in rhythm with the button (you can use canned mp3 files, and I'm sure there are downloadable tools to speed them up and slow them down). Use the LED as a psychedelic light source for mood (think "disco"). Extra points of you manage to do ritardando and accelerando.

P.S. Do I need to mention that I'm not being completely serious? The partly serious part: I think it would be much fun to control real-world entities. Matter-of-fact, if I weren't so busy with drywall and painting for my new garden shed (which will house our water pumps), I would be prototyping interfaces between the RPi3 and pressure sensors, water level sensors, pumps, and the well.

Hooking up a switch or a LED is what I'd like to do next but I don't know how. Any basic instructions (for FreeBSD) would be useful..

My longer term aim is to be able to switch on the watering system in the garden when it's dry, or setup a remote weather station, albeit at the bottom of the garden.

That's one of the enigmas of using the RPi: The instructions for LEDs and switches are completely OS-independent: Get a connector, get a piece of PC board (I personally like the pre-made proto boards, Adafruit and others sell them), get a few resistors and a voltmeter, and most importantly a soldering iron. If you have no experience with soldering, diodes, and a voltmeter, then expect that the learning process will leave a few corpses behind (by the way, this is why using the $5 Pi zero is a good idea: it doesn't hurt the feelings so much if it goes in the trash bin). BUT: None of this will be found on FreeBSD-specific web pages. Matter-of-fact, when searching for FreeBSD-specific information, and generic Raspberry Pi information (like the pinout of the 40-pin connector), I saw that the Pi foundation has lots of nice tutorials on stuff like that, you just have to translate the commands from RaspBian.

For watering system, analog sensing (for example of soil humidity) and weather interfacing: If you want to do all of that yourself (from a Pi, chips, and soldering iron), there is lots of learning and work to do.

For the FreeBSD-specific part: I added an LED to GPIO 17 via 220ohm to +3.3V, and a pushbutton to GPIO 27 (via a 1K safety resistor to ground with a 10K pullup to +3.3V), and here is all the "coding" I had to do (it works perfectly from the command line):
Code:
# gpioctl -c 17 OUT
# gpioctl -c 27 IN # That's the default anyway
# gpioctl 27 # Returns 1 if button not pushed, 0 if button pushed
# gpioctl 17 1 # LED off
# gpioctl 17 0 # LED on

But: The gap between a switch and an LED, and a control system that can handle a half-dozen sensors and three industrial-size pumps (my case), or a weather station with sprinkler controller (your case) is gigantic. Lots of evenings and weekends of work.

I have a PiFace Digital interface and would love some sample code to get started just switching on a light...

I appreciate the gap between this and and an automated sprinkler is immense and am prepared for lots of trial and error over a few months trying to get it to work.

However using a soldering iron is beyond my scope of confidence/ability.

Back