Which stable version of FreeBSD will be the next one (-stable)?

Hello,

I run FreeBSD 8.2 on my netbook, I have big problem to stay secure (8.2 no more supported) and I tried to upgrade my ports and I got some problems (lib version conflict), so I am ready to install a new version but which one to choose (8.3, 9.0 or go back to 7.4) ? I guess that 8.3 will replace 7.4 (stable) and 9.1 will be the current? I prefer to track the "stable" branch (most debugs are resolved so no trouble ahead).

Thank you in advance for your help.

l2f

STABLE and CURRENT are quite specific terms (http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/current-stable.html), so "... 7.4 (stable) and 9.1 will be the current ..." is a bit unclear.

It seems you want to track 9-STABLE, so check out that branch, compile it, make a release, and install it (in case you want to do a complete new install.)

Synopsis:
Code:
svn co svn://svn.freebsd.org/base/stable/9 /usr/src
make -C /usr/src -j2 buildworld
make -C /usr/src -j2 buildkernel
make -C /usr/src/release memstick NOPORTS=true NOSRC=true NODOC=true

Copy the memstick image to a USB and install. Or make a DVD/etc.

• Thanks
Reactions: l2f
SNK said:
STABLE and CURRENT are quite specific terms (http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/current-stable.html), so "... 7.4 (stable) and 9.1 will be the current ..." is a bit unclear.

It seems you want to track 9-STABLE, so check out that branch, compile it, make a release, and install it (in case you want to do a complete new install.)

Synopsis:
Code:
svn co svn://svn.freebsd.org/base/stable/9 /usr/src
make -C /usr/src -j2 buildworld
make -C /usr/src -j2 buildkernel
make -C /usr/src/release memstick NOPORTS=true NOSRC=true NODOC=true

Copy the memstick image to a USB and install. Or make a DVD/etc.

The newly-built kernel and world can just be installed directly, there is no need to make install media.

wblock@ said:
The newly-built kernel and world can just be installed directly, there is no need to make install media.

True, but a fresh install might also not be bad. Saves some hassle, deleting old libs, etc. Need to recompile all ports anyway.

• Thanks
Reactions: l2f
Back