Which FreeBSD-compatible proprietary software would you buy?

It is pretty powerful as it can do symbolic math. Worth getting familiar with. There are some youtube videos that may interest you. Run wxmaxima and try this:
Code:
f(x,y):=sin(x)+cos(y);
plot3d(f(x,y),[x,-5,5],[y,-5,5]);
There are newer and more powerful programs such as mathematica but it is not open source. Then there is open source sage that is built on top of NumPy, maxima, R, GAP etc. There is no BSD port but may be the linux binary will run? I haven't tried. R, Julia etc are programming languages and they don't do symbolic math for you. They are all useful in different but overlapping contexts.

I should add that there are symbolic math packages for Julia but I am not familiar with them. Maxima is derived from Macsyma & it has a lot of stuff built in.
All of this reminds me of Maple, which I used in college, but so far as I can tell Maxima seems nearly equivalent.

Maple and Mathematica are available on Linux now and may run on the FreeBSD linuxulator, as might the Sage Linux binary, although for my purposes I think Maxima is fine.

For solitary purpose scripting though, R or Julia may be better [repetitive computations covering a single subject such as generating scheduling charts, etc].

I would pay a subscription fee for a Django application server running on top of FreeBSD.

A package that would sit in between the OS and the Django environment. It would help maintain jails for specific deployments (a specific version of Python and specific version of Django), it would alert me to relevant updates to the underlying FreeBSD version, the Python version and the Django version, it would help me test and schedule updates to each of those (with roll-back?) and monitor the resource usages of all the different jails.

Essentially it would be something that takes all the effort out of running everything below the actual Django app so the subscriber can focus on the Django app itself with paid support to fall back on if something goes wrong.

There are Django application hosters such as Alwaysdata and PythonAnywhere where you can outsource some of your Django apps but they often lack the finer grained control you have when running your own servers.

Back