Other Where's the catch?

Well you got a fake Intel Compute stick. So you would think you would learn.
Truthfully there is an art to ebay. I have ~2100 purchases and maybe 100 were straight up junk.
I research the crap out of stuff. Download the pdf's, see if manufacturer site has firmwares.
Still, I get burned sometimes.
I bought a batch of 2 NVMe recently and one was bad. The first time I have ever done a return.
It was just expensive enough to make me return it.
Plus it was supposedly "tested". That was false.
I do have a sense of remorse for the seller. They don't make out so well sometimes.
I like scapling things when new users post bid auctions starting real low.
Sometimes I actually feel so guilty I send them extra money.
I recently won a Dell Force 10 Switch for $12 bucks. 48 ports plus four 10Gig ports. AC & 48VDC
Felt so bad for the guy I sent him an extra $30.

I have been into servers and I have stockpiled parts and adapers in plastic tubs for years so I am ready.
Recently I needed a Molex to 2 SATA power splitter and went to my stash.
DANG. All the SATA connectors had green corrosion and were junk. Plus the shell was much thinner than usual and broke.
So I saved a little by using oriental seller but ended up with junk.
I tried to prepare but had to order some real ones pronto. You just never know what your getting on ebay.

Ebay fences many stolen goods I believe. That is beyond the fakes problem.
There are organized shoplifting rings that hit up stores like BestBuy and Walmart.
Places like ebay don't ask questions. They are just the facilitator. So you end up with anything goes.

I love shopping on ebay but rarely buy anything from an auction since I stopped buying Russian watches. I got to be friends with the main guy in Russia I bought watches from. His father was a Watch Maker and cleaned all my watches before they shipped as a favor. The Russian boogyman doesn't scare me.

If I want something on auction you might as well not bid because it's already mine. I can out-snipe a bot. I know exactly how long it takes my bid to go through to the second and how to bid so there is no chance of losing. I lost the first auction I bid on, then I saw how it worked. Bidding before the last second is a fools game and only raises the price.

I buy direct from dealers now and only had two sales not go as smoothly as I would have liked. Once when buying a HDD tray for my W520 that didn't fit. She said she would have to contact their Country's Ministry of Finance to get authorization to refund my $7.

The other was a guy who didn't get the chance to bid up his own item before I sniped it out from under him at a bargain price. He was mad but got over it.

I bought a Robby the Robot keychain for $10 or so from a guy. He contacted me to say there was an illness in the family, he had been driving 100 miles each day and hadn't had the chance to send it. I told him not to worry and I could wait as long as it took.

He sent it a week later and included a vintage catalog of TV and Movie robots that went for much more than the rinky-dink keychan I bought for working with him. Not everybody is out to scam people

I have a lot of stuff I'd like to sell but it's too much trouble IMO.

Back