Where to discuss software development ON FreeBSD but not of FreeBSD itself?

Hello everyone! I have been enjoying my first three weeks with FreeBSD so far. But my main point for using FreeBSD is to attempt using it as a development platform for other things, in replacement of Linux. It is somewhat of a little experiment, I admit, but I want to attempt to get as much up and running as I can for doing development in Python, Rust and NodeJS.

Doing this there will be problems along the road related to FreeBSD specifically. Problems other people might encounter as well or know a solution to. But it appears there is no place for discussion of such issues in this forum? Which is somewhat surprising. Would that not be a nice idea for an addition? Unless of course nobody else wants to use FreeBSD as a dev platform...

So where is the place to discuss issues related to FreeBSD as a software development platform for software other than FreeBSD itself?

oOiOo

yeah, I think you might be kinda right. A mish-mash of everything sadly in there, a bit undifferentiated. Why not separate stuff somewhat more?

Why not separate stuff somewhat more?
In usenet, the typical requirement to get a new group was "show traffic" (there should be a somewhat significant amount). I guess it's handled in a similar way here. Looking at this sub forum, it does have a well-defined topic and a decent level of activity. By what would you want to differentiate anyways? Specific programming languages? You'd end up with lots of sub forums with close to no activity...

Zirias

multiple programming languages was my initial idea. The little single sub forum for everything from Shell scripting to assembly language was just a little sad. But you might be right that there would not be enough activity.

drhowarddrfine

I was indeed more looking for help with getting packages and tooling to work on FreeBSD. Not so much questions related to programming itself.

One open issue for me right now, just as an example: The language server for lua does not compile on FreeBSD, which is not great, as lua is the configuration language for Neovim, my main text editor. The developers also show no interest in making it compile easily on FreeBSD any time soon.

One open issue for me right now, just as an example: The language server for lua does not compile on FreeBSD, which is not great, as lua is the configuration language for Neovim, my main text editor. The developers also show no interest in making it compile easily on FreeBSD any time soon.
Could you please provide more details what exactly is going wrong? I am also using NeoVim (FreeBSD 13.1-RELEASE), the stock version from packages, and don't experience any problems. I am not a NeoVim-Expert, though. What I do got running was the treesitter-plugin, which does use Lua, as far as I know. That seems to work (on my machine(TM)).

We have been used FreeBSD as development and production platform for many years, we usually come here to discuss issues related to FreeBSD and software running on FreeBSD. As for programming issues, we usually find it at stackoverflow.

In my experience the freebsd hackers mailing list is the best. Userland programming and scripting forum is OK for fairly general technical questions but not so good for deeply technical questions. Stackoverflow is OK for programming language questions but hopeless for FreeBSD. Stackoverflow is also plagued by prima donnas that think they know everything - and unfortunately they often have voting rights to close questions.

Stackoverflow is OK for programming language questions but hopeless for FreeBSD.
SO is not for operating system questions. Programming only. If you want to ask about FreeBSD, the place to ask is Unix & Linux Stack Exchange
Stackoverflow is also plagued by prima donnas that think they know everything - and unfortunately they often have voting rights to close questions.
Anyone with a rep of 50 or more can vote to close a question but it takes three votes to do so. They are strict on what questions are allowed and how to present them. OS questions will get closed quickly.

Note: I have moderator privileges on SO.

If I have programming questions related to FreeBSD, I direct them here. I have some good experience with both "FreeBSD development" and "Userland ...". IMHO, SO is deeply flawed. Sure, you will find some good info there, but this gamification based on some kind of "popuparity contest" often fails badly. I've had my SO account deleted a long time ago.

drhowarddrfine Holger There is no problem with lua the language itself on FreeBSD as far as I am concerned, but rather with the language server for lua that provides LSP support for writing lua in your editor of choice, in my case neovim. The language server for lua is hosted on GitHub.

But maybe I should open up a new thread for this later today down in the abyss of this forum ;)

The language server for lua is hosted on GitHub.
That's a language server for Lua. Language servers are some Visual Studio Code invention. That particular implementation depends on some crockish "luamake" that ignores Luarocks and all the other Lua community build tools.

I went as far as finding the directory with the build scripts you'd likely need to emulate before losing all interest. The Mac OS file is probably a good starting point.

But maybe I should open up a new thread for this later today down in the abyss of this forum ;)
I'm positively tingly with anticipation.

Jose I looked at what you were saying in a bit more detail because it got me thinking... as far as I can see the sumneko/lua-language-server is the only one supported in neovim, at least as far as nvim-lspconfig and nvim-lsp-installer are concerned. Now given that there is another lsp for lua called lua-lsp I do not know why it has no support... however it is significantly less popular on Github and certainly has less development activity.

(btw. your positive anticipation will be left tingling a bit longer, but I will eventually open a thread for finding a way to build the sumneko lua lsp on freebsd)

if you know of more language servers for lua beside these two please let me know. But as for neovim support out of the box I just might be stuck with the sumneko one for now...

I have to disagree.
In the past the bsdinstall disk scheme used UFS as the top of the list, making it the default if you just press the enter key. As of FreeBSD 13 ZFS has been moved to the top of the list.

BTW, StackOverflow, StackExchange and AskUbuntu - they're all practically the same thing...
1667422492208.png

This is what I saw on AskUbuntu, but it can be just as easily spotted on the other two sites. The way I see it, it's a matter of being able to extract useful info, and not caring from where you extract it, as long as it solves your problem. It's amazing what you can find on the Internet these days... Not my words, but that quote has been uttered lots of times before, and is quite apt in here. 😏

astyle
Do not ask FreeBSD questions on AskUbuntu. It's off topic there. FreeBSD questions should be asked on Unix & Linux StackExchange
Programming questions there should always be asked on StackOverflow
Why are you assuming that I did something like asking a FreeBSD question on AskUbuntu? That's missing the point of my post altogether.

The point of my post was to showcase the use examples of places where you can get useful information. As an offline analogy, you can go to a public/city library to research some topic, say history of vitamin C, or you can go to a much bigger university library. The process in both places is the same, but the latter will generally give you better information.

Back