Where does Fluxbox look for toolbar icons?

I don't mean menu icons. I know how to specify those. </path/icon.png>

I don't mean configuring Flux to show icons in the toolbar. That's simple.

Some apps launch with an icon in the toolbar and some don't. Firefox, thunderbird, etc.
have icons in toolbar.iconbar.focused and toolbar.iconbar.unfocused

Some apps like xterm, gedit etc. have the apps name and no icon.

Is this a Function of Flux or does X11 have an icon cache for apps that Flux is using? If so where is the X11 icon cache?

In other words if I could find out where Flux looks for it's toolbar app icons then I could create icons for apps, change them etc. The Fluxbox docs don't touch this subject.

I have looked here but the icons don't match up.
/usr/local/share/icons
/usr/local/share/pixmaps

Any help is appreciated.

Most applications set their icon with the _NET_WM_ICON property. You can check this property by running 'xprop' and clicking on any X window. It is not a function of fluxbox, and there is no icon cache that X11 creates. It's set by the application itself.

A list of window properties: http://standards.freedesktop.org/wm-spec/1.3/ar01s05.html

EDIT: Actually, I need to clarify that I do not know that this is how fluxbox determines what icon to display. I do know that most, if not all, window managers use this property.

Ok Adam thanks for the reply. That's what I was suspecting. The app itself sets its icon when launched. That's good information.

Back