Where are all these ko files coming from?

I built a custom kernel stripping every device entry I didn't find relevant in a copy of the GENERIC conf file. From uname -a, it seems my custom kernel loaded, but in the /boot/kernel directory there are still a gazillion ko files. I thought there was a one to one relationship between these and the device entries, but this is not the case. Further, there are entries here like zfs.ko that weren't even in the original GENERIC conf file to begin with, so where are these ko entries coming from and how do I tell it not build the ones I won't be using?

It's not clear how to make a list of every module I want. Some are listed in GENERIC; some are listed in the NOTES file, but many like radeonkmsfw_VERDE_rlc don't seem to be formally listed anywhere, so I'd have to derive the names from what's listed in /boot/kernel and then try to figure out when to use underlines to spell the driver name correctly. Also, it's not clear how to assign a variable like WITHOUT_MODULES with multiple lines of info: quotes, backslashes?

I built a custom kernel stripping every device entry I didn't find relevant in a copy of the GENERIC conf file. From uname -a, it seems my custom kernel loaded, but in the /boot/kernel directory there are still a gazillion ko files. I thought there was a one to one relationship between these and the device entries, but this is not the case. Further, there are entries here like zfs.ko that weren't even in the original GENERIC conf file to begin with, so where are these ko entries coming from and how do I tell it not build the ones I won't be using?
zfs.ko is there because of potential boot loading. As SirDice says, configure these out of the build using src.conf

As far as I can tell, the kernel is hard-coded to build a with a whole slew of modules and there's no way to turn them off. Some examples include

Code:
ata_serverworks
ata_promise
ata_nvidia
ata_netcell
ata_national
ata_micron
ata_marvell
ata_jmicron
ata_ite
ata_intel

Back