Solved When installing a modified port, how do I tell pkg not to reinstall it on "pkg upgrade"?

Hello,

I am not sure whether I am doing things properly here, but I have a small issue with a port/package on FreeBSD 10.0-RELEASE. The thing is, I love to use xmms (version 1) for music playback, including module files, for which xmms has its built-in MikMod player plugin.

The thing is, that plugin segfaults when using more modern versions of the libmikmod.so library. A person named Jakob Steltner however has submitted a patch to the ArchLinux project, which can be examined here.

I modified that patch to work with the multimedia/xmms port, so here is patch-drv_xmms.c:

Code:
--- Input/mikmod/drv_xmms.c.orig 2003-05-19 23:22:06.000000000 +0200
+++ Input/mikmod/drv_xmms.c 2012-11-16 18:52:41.264644767 +0100
@@ -117,6 +117,10 @@
return VC_Init();
}

+static void xmms_CommandLine(CHAR * commandLine)
+{
+}
+
MDRIVER drv_xmms =
{
NULL,
@@ -126,7 +130,8 @@
#if (LIBMIKMOD_VERSION > 0x030106)
"xmms",
NULL,
-#endif
+#endif
+ xmms_CommandLine, // Was missing
xmms_IsThere,
VC_SampleLoad,
VC_SampleUnload

With that patch, multimedia/xmms builds and works just fine. Module playback has so far not caused me any issues, so I think I'll keep that version.

There is just one glitch with that solution. I usually upgrade all FreeBSD packages by just running # pkg upgrade, which will however always tell me to reinstall xmms. Doing that will overwrite my customized port with the default package.

Now my question: How can I tell pkg to blacklist the xmms package, or tell it to accept my changes as being ok? What would be the best practice to do this in a clean fashion?

Thank you!

PS.: To the moderators, I hope I got all my formatting correct this time, I really tried not to make mistakes, like last time.

File a PR and attach the patch so the maintainer can incorporate it in the port. It's likely other people are running into the same bug. Fixing the port would fix it for everybody.

PS. Post looks fine, formatting is good. Thanks.

Ah, great!

When I last checked maybe a month ago or so, it seemed that multimedia/xmms and most of its optional plugins were scheduled for deletion from the ports tree, and I couldn't find any active maintainer. It seems it's maintained once again now (or maybe I didn't read thoroughly enough), so I'll read about how to submit a proper PR and then report the issue.

In the meantime, pkg lock xmms is very useful, exactly what I need until the port gets fixed. :)

Thanks!

Back