What's up with automounting?

Hi,

a few updates ago, automount of flash drives etc. got screwy. They still get mounted, but don't appear on the desktop any more, and I can't unmount them as user, only as root. There were no configuration changes whatsoever.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Frank

Automounting doesn't work anymore. Thank the Gnome developers for depending on Linux' udev.

SirDice said:
Automounting doesn't work anymore. Thank the Gnome developers for depending on Linux' udev.

Wait a few more weeks. I am pretty sure they will jump onto the next fad.

My prediction is that they will rely on a client / server type system where you mount the device over the internet, and then gnome provides you with your files over ftp...

Yeah.. they should definitely do this! I will host the ftp servers :)

kpedersen said:
Yeah.. they should definitely do this! I will host the ftp servers :)

So, your IP is 127.0.0.1? Wow, your server is fast! :D

edit:
Well, I remember now. IIRC Mandrake did it that way that before HAL up to the task.

This has been vexing me to no end as well. Now FWIW, I'm playing with the 9.0-RC1 and Gnome-2.32_1 myself, and the existing packages for HAL and GVFS are definitely broken.

HOWEVER ... I went and recompiled both HAL and GVFS from the port sources contained on the RC-1 DVD and lo and behold, it *sorta* works. If you don't mind automount occasionally throwing a complaint about "operation pending" and then it goes ahead and mounts twice.

Give it a shot ...

Hey, who changed the thread title? I almost didn't find it any more :e

Anyway, strange things happen. As of this morning, everything is working again...

As some sort of semi-educated guess, I can say that this problem occurred when some of the filenames on the thumb drive were giving me problems (i.e. illegal characters of some sort). I'll try to investigate a little further, but there are some other quirks I should look into at some point.

As a bit of an update, here's what I'm seeing right now:

Automounting actually works, mostly. There are a few glitches, though. I've had a few cases in which certain characters in file names caused automounting to fail with a dbus error message, and just the other day, I had to reformat a USB thumb drive to get it to work again - couldn't find any offending files on it.

As for audio CDs, it appears to me that sound-juicer contains a bug which causes it to crash when trying to poll the CD database. The weird thing is, this only happens reproducibly with certain albums, while others cause no problems.

All of this applies to 8.2-RELEASE and Gnome2-2.32.1

fmw said:
As a bit of an update, here's what I'm seeing right now:

Automounting actually works, mostly. There are a few glitches, though. I've had a few cases in which certain characters in file names caused automounting to fail with a dbus error message, and just the other day, I had to reformat a USB thumb drive to get it to work again - couldn't find any offending files on it.

You can try my 'new' way of doing an automount using the FreeBSD's devd(8) daemon, here:
https://github.com/vermaden/automount/

I use it with Openbox and works like a charm.

As for audio CDs, it appears to me that sound-juicer contains a bug which causes it to crash when trying to poll the CD database. The weird thing is, this only happens reproducibly with certain albums, while others cause no problems.
I do not use Audio CD's anymore, so I can not help You here.

cabriofahrer said:
But does that work also with Gnome and KDE4 that way that drives with their respective symbols show up in Nautilus / Dolphin and the desktop?

I have responses that it works very well under GNOME/KDE/LXDE/XFCE/whatever.

Its not dependent on any DE/WM or even X11, it will automount/autoumount even without X11.

Nautilus shows mounted filesystems from /media, I have reports that so does Dolphin and Konqueror, dunno about others.

Well, I might give it a try then some time. But if it works so well, why do the developers not focus in implementing devd as the standard solution for mounting media in FreeBSD and mention it in the installation instructions for Gnome and KDE instead of still focusing on HAL which is officially deprecated?

Back