What's the best way to install a lot of ports on a new system?

I've got to build some new servers, and some of them require about 150 ports/dependencies to be compiled and installed. I've got all the port names and such, I'm just wondering if there's a better way of installing all these. Right now, I've just got a shell script that loops through the list and installs each port.

Is there some port that I haven't found yet that would run through the list of ports to be installed, order them in the right way for doing common dependencies first, and then build them?

I looked at portmaster, but it doesn't seem to handle a big list of ports for initial install.

Thanks!

- ericr

You should just care about the ports you want to install.
The ports infrastructure will take care about dependencies for you.
So a script that cd to the ports dir and build them should be enough to start.
Two suggestions could be:
  1. Run make config-recursive on the ports you want to install before start building
  2. If the servers uses the same make and ports options, consider using make package on just one box after creating /usr/ports/packages. The ports will be build and installed and a packages will be created. So you can install the other servers using the packages you built skipping the build part.

EDIT:
configure->config

Iff the other machines in question are running exactly the same version & arch of FreeBSD, you can use the pkg-recursive target to make and then use pkg_add(1) on all the other machines.

Use a ports builder machine/chroot

ericr said:
I've got to build some new servers, and some of them require about 150 ports/dependencies to be compiled and installed. I've got all the port names and such, I'm just wondering if there's a better way of installing all these. Right now, I've just got a shell script that loops through the list and installs each port.

If you are using the same FreeBSD release/version on all systems, it should be possible to build the ports *once* and then install them from prebuilt packages.

You can build the ports in a clean chroot, and then use the port list that you already have and the pkg_create(1) utility to save the pre-built packages, i.e.:

Code:
chroot# mkdir /usr/ports/packages/All
chroot# cd /usr/ports/packages/All
chroot# pkg_info | awk '{print $1}' | xargs -n1 pkg_create -Rvnb

This will save all the packages and their dependencies in *.tbz files. You can then transfer the /usr/ports/packages/All tree to the other hosts and just install everything with pkg_add(1):

Code:
otherhost# cd /usr/ports/packages/All
otherhost# pkg_add *

This will probably save a lot of compile-time :)

If the servers are all identical (same ports installed, same hardware, same OS options, same initial config), then doing an rsync backup of one system, and using rsync to "image" the other servers may be easier. Do a minimal install off the CD, then boot off a Frenzy LiveCD, configure the network, mount the filesystems under /mnt, and rsync back from the image server.

We do this, and can image firewalls in <20 mins, diskless servers in ~1 hour.

Otherwise, using a central repository of packages is the next logical choice. Use pkg_create -b to create packages from already installed ports, or make package-recursive when installing ports.

keramida, pkg_create -Rvnb gives an error on 7.1-RELEASE-p4. After looking at the source of pkg_create, I found that the option 'n' is not coded as an option in the source. The noclobber mode '-n' is mentioned in the manual page source and it is also displayed as an option in the pkg_create usage help. I guess I should file a bug report for this error, but it's past midnight here and I'll try to it at work today.

Also, it would be easier to NFS export /usr/ports/packages/All and NFS mount it on other servers. That is how I am doing it. I do have a dedicated Ports building machine for my servers.

rbelk said:
Also, it would be easier to NFS export /usr/ports/packages/All and NFS mount it on other servers. That is how I am doing it. I do have a dedicated Ports building machine for my servers.
Yep, same here. I build all my packages myself then export them. Same goes for /usr/src and /usr/obj, both can be exported read-only.

keramida, I did enter a PR for the pkg_create no-clobber bug on 7.1-RELEASE-p4. The PR is bin/133979. FYI, pkg-create's no-clobber option works correctly on 7.2-RC2 and 8.0-current though.

Back