What Window Manager do you use on FreeBSD?

I'm new to FreeBSD, so I have some questions:

1. Do you use FreeBSD as a desktop or a server?
2. What Window Manager or Desktop Environment do you use, Gnome2.x, Gnome3.x, KDE, XFCE or something else?

Can you post some screenshots of your desktop?

Thanks!

Welcome.

There are a few similar threads, so try searching.

I use x11-wm/fluxbox and x11-wm/stumpwm. I'm posting from a phone, so I can't give you a screenshot.

I'm told that gnome3 is such a mess that porting to FreeBSD is still in the works, but I know very little about it.

I've used windowmaker, openbox, icewm, fvwm2, lxde (in ghostbsd.org thumbdrive) .... One can grab premade configuration files from the web usually if one know their names. Desktop user here. I've never to my recollection used any of those four posted in the first post.

I'm using fluxbox on my netbook at home and also on my desktop at work. As I cannot remove Windows 7 from the company's desktop, FreeBSD is running on top of VirtualBox.

Hi,

I have several window managers installed but since last year my every day wm is windowmaker. It's simple, has interesting and a plenty of features, fast build and it cost me few resources (CPU and RAM) which is important when recording multi-track audio with dozens of efx plugins, per example.
Another cool thing about why I like windowmaker:
1. you can tell a dock to load an app, like opera, keeping the window hidden, so slow apps do not bother me on startup when I'm using another one while I wait.
2. you can tell an app to bind itself to a workspace. I use the main Ardour window in workspace "4" and the mixer in workspace "5". It's very useful.

I'm running FreeBSD 9.1 on an old laptop, about 11 yr old with a p4-m processor so performance is limited. Currently I'm running x11/lxde-meta. In the past, I used to run linux on it and have tried many other window managers and desktop environments. I really like x11-wm/openbox for a window manager and have been very pleased with the x11/lxde-meta port, it did need some customizing to get things the way I like (such as having desktop icons with a working trash can and getting the policykit set right so I could use the lxsession logout/reboot features).

If I were to run FreeBSD on my primary desktop, I certainly would consider running x11/lxde-meta on it as well and it is more than capable of running whatever I want performance-wise.

One desktop - 4 servers.
Why, for the sake of Pete, would you want to see this desk?
Am I the last person that uses Afterstep as a wm?

I use Dtwm (The CDE window manager!) :e

I have a FreeNAS server, a m0n0wall box, and a FreeBSD 9.1 workstation.

Back