What song do you like?

I simply love 'Good Life' by OneRepublic - it is a song that raises my mood and helps me realize how beautiful life actually is and how glad we can be to live. I like to use a great quotation by Natalie Portman that comes to my head every time I listen to that song.

'I don't believe in it (afterlife). I believe this is it, and I believe it is the best way to live.'

I'll post some stuff I like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMlH-5kPugg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MO2WJDG2Qe8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WawQRVNzIE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgSLz5FeXUg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIjHGTxWwjQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPNFVj-pISU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiOJ2P_jvnU (After the Intro you may want to turn your speakers down, it's a little louder than the Dawn of the Dead sample they have. I've talked to The Guitar Player Roger multiple time, he's an oldschool Computer Geek).

I can post more, but that's a pretty varied list so far of what I like.

Hrm, can't choose just one so I'll just say The Prodigy, and also Black Rose Immortal by Opeht. It's 20 minutes long and I can't find a complete video on youtube.

More artists and their songs.
You'll have to look up the youtube and mp3's yourself.

DJ Cheb i Sabbah "Gunga Din" Try the Shri Durga remix
Charlie Brown Jr "O Futuro"
Aterciopelados "Bolero falaz"
Louis Armstrong "St. James Infirmary Blues"
Otis Redding "Old Man Trouble."
Maria Bethania "A forca que nunca seca" (I don't have the character set on this machine yet, so, the c should have a cedilha on it.)
Earth, Wind, and Fire "Kalimba story"
Carlinhos Brown "Busy Man"

Doubt anyone her will take the time to listen to any of these.

sossego said:
More artists and their songs.
You'll have to look up the youtube and mp3's yourself.

DJ Cheb i Sabbah "Gunga Din" Try the Shri Durga remix
Charlie Brown Jr "O Futuro"
Aterciopelados "Bolero falaz"
Louis Armstrong "St. James Infirmary Blues"
Otis Redding "Old Man Trouble."
Maria Bethania "A forca que nunca seca" (I don't have the character set on this machine yet, so, the c should have a cedilha on it.)
Earth, Wind, and Fire "Kalimba story"
Carlinhos Brown "Busy Man"

Doubt anyone her will take the time to listen to any of these.

Being that I'm "One of those Bass Players" who takes his craft seriously, I know most of those songs. And for the Guitar players and Drummers and people who don't make music, Bass players are different; We don't listen to any one style of music, and those of us who take it seriously, ALL like at least some Blues, Jazz, Soul, and other forms of music, because, just as an example, the list of music I quoted, the Bass players who did those lines, are incredibly talented people.

You can tell a real Bass player from a wannabee very easily; A Wannabee thinks Flea, from RHCP, is the best out there. The rest of us know that he's good, but no where near that. Another popukar "favorite" is Les from Primus. Again, VERY talented. Amazing in fact, but neither one of them, could hold a note to either Alex Webster, from Cannibal Corpse, or, Cliff, the original from Metallica. Before they sucked.

Cliff played a 4 string with his Fingers, no pick, and did a solo that at the time hadn't been done, and used FX pedals to make it that much cooler, and Alex from Cannibal Corpse, has not only pulled off some of the fastest Bass solos, but he's done some of the most complex lines I've personally seen.

Sometimes if I'm watching The Blues Brothers, I'll play along with the whole movie. It's great. One thing I'm very proud of, is the fact that I managed to figure out a way to make a 300 dollar Electric Bass, sound like a 3,000 dollar Stand up / Double Bass (Depending on the Style of music the player plays, and the country they are from, the "Classical Bass" has like 30 names) So I can play Rock-A-Billy with an Electric, and it sounds like a Stand up.

(The secret was me accidentally sliding a finger UNDER one string while playing a fast piece very down tuned. When I plucked it, my finger slid under the string by accident, and when I did that, it sounded like a Stan Up Bass, so I toyed with it and got it right, and now I can play Rock-A-Billy and Psychobilly).

Lol, anyway, that probably sounds like I think I'm amazing, which isn't true, but I'm pretty happy about my playing ability for the most part. I sometimes use a pick, sometimes don't, and in a song I did, I was doing both, which is pretty hard to do at the same time, but the sound is amazing. The amp was crap though.

Anyway, sorry about the long post, but it is a music thread, so, I didn't think that talking about playing styles was off topic.

I currently have no amp, and I can't afford one, so I play slap and pop when I do now, and mostly make music with LMMS.

I guess it's funny my play list right now has everything from Slayer and Acid Bath, and Black Flag, to The Ramones, GWAR, BILE, KMFDM, Hank Williams III, Johnny Cash, and then a dose of Rock-A-Billy, Psychobilly, Punk, Industrial, Metal, and some Techno.

That's just one play list. ;)

gore said:
Being that I'm "One of those Bass Players" who takes his craft seriously, I know most of those songs. And for the Guitar players and Drummers and people who don't make music, Bass players are different; We don't listen to any one style of music, and those of us who take it seriously,

Sounds like you worry to much about other people. I been playing drums for 30 years(wow I'm old). I also have composed two dozen of own songs as I also studied theory as well as piano has been my secondary instrument for 20 years. I have also worked as a professional audio engineer.

Though I understand your lament about bedroom guitarists but why add drummers to that mix. I have never met a drummer that didn't learn how to read music nor took the craft seriously.

I find it a bit obtuse to put drummers in the same category as a guitar player who can play only cowboy chords; who has no idea how to find every c on their guitar(including unisons) nor would be able to build a chord or scale if they tried.

Then again I'm sure you know why they named the game sitar hero vs bass or drum hero =)

~

UNIXgod said:
Sounds like you worry to much about other people. I been playing drums for 30 years(wow I'm old). I also have composed two dozen of own songs as I also studied theory as well as piano has been my secondary instrument for 20 years. I have also worked as a professional audio engineer.

Though I understand your lament about bedroom guitarists but why add drummers to that mix. I have never met a drummer that didn't learn how to read music nor took the craft seriously.

I find it a bit obtuse to put drummers in the same category as a guitar player who can play only cowboy chords; who has no idea how to find every c on their guitar(including unisons) nor would be able to build a chord or scale if they tried.

Then again I'm sure you know why they named the game sitar hero vs bass or drum hero =)

~

Not sure if it's just the wording, but I didn't mean it in a way that stated Drummers and also Guitar players can't play well or do their thing properly, it was meant to mean that people who don't play Bass generally don't get uptight when someone doesn't know what they're doing. I've met a few Guitar guys who DO take it in the manner I meant, and they do hate hearing someone play who either has no talent, or no skills, but Bass players just seem to do that more.

Bass players are like Unix Wizards; Cringe every time they hear a Guitar player pick one up because, well, My cousin, as an example, can play Guitar just fine, but, instead of learning how to play Bass, he picks up my bass, and starts doing with it what he does with a guitar. Which is obnoxious because he thinks he's playing.

He'll hit a few notes but his fingering is exactly how you do with a guitar, which makes it sound like he's barely hitting the notes, and the fingering is wayyyyyy off. I guess it's just elitism, but if someone like me who's been called an idiot half his life, and, had to listen to my cousin say how much I suck at Guitar, it does get annoying to hear someone pick it up and just assume you finger like a guitar and pick like one too.

Anyway, that's how that was meant; I don't know enough drummers to say much about that, but I didn't mean that drummers are all one way or another, I think it was just worded wrong.

Anyway, I'm working on a new track for the first time in a long time. I nabbed a guitar piece from Atari Teenage Riot, and the drums are like Skinny Puppy. I can play like 3 instruments + I'm using LMMS for everything so it works.

Back