Votes: 6 20.0%
  • another one (what is it)

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • do not use one

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • tuxador's emacs daemon

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I often use tmux. Why do I prefer tmux to Screen? Screen is GNU!
That's a stupid line of reasoning, but I had to choose one of them

Used screen for many years, on FreeBSD and on Solaris. Some day tmux came along and it looked to be a little easier to configure, tried it and now I rarely use screen (only when tmux isn't available).

Screen is GNU!
That's a stupid line of reasoning
Not at all. This GNU religion became really weird in the last decade.
saintignucius.jpg

Why do people continue to ask these kind of questions: "what is your favorite X or Y?" - it implies that there exist a favorite tool in all situations. Any good user of tools knows that there are multiple tools, and they have both strengths and weaknesses, and knows in which situation which tool is "best".

I use tmux as my multiplexer many places, for example for console access for my bhyve virtual machines. I use screen, mostly for serial port access when I need that.

When I need something for everyday work I don't care about the license. The productivity is more important.
I use screen since it supports serial terminals as well, which I need to communicate with ARM-based devices.

Why do people continue to ask these kind of questions: "what is your favorite X or Y?" - it implies that there exist a favorite tool in all situations.
You answer your own question in your very next sentence.
Any good user of tools knows that there are multiple tools, and they have both strengths and weaknesses, and knows in which situation which tool is "best".
Exactly. One of the best ways to make an informed decision is to ask for the opinion of people you trust and respect.

I'm using screen. Why? Because it's the tool I've learned first, and when I learned it Tmux was not written yet. So I stuck with it.

It does what I need, and until there's a reason for me to have a look at Tmux I'll probably stick with what I know.

Screen because it was the first and I'm a long time user of it. Habits are hard to break.
Why use it? Historical. When doing adminstration & support over a dial-up connection you learn screen is essential for recovering once your connection dies.
Nowadays I just like to keep things running in the background.
I'll use tmux if I have to, though.

Back