what is your recommendation?

Hi all:

I prefer install everything from ports, but compiling a gnome is a fainful process. :(

I have tried xfce, it is very small.
But when I run xfce-terminal, the minimization and maximization operation always hang on nearly 1 second.
When I hite the reboot or shutdown button the system will hang on 1 secont too. How to solve?

I want a smal x desktop, even without web browser or pdf reader, then I can concentrate on Vim/gVim and C. :e

@fender0107401

But when I run xfce-terminal, the minimization and maximization operation always hang on nearly 1 second.
What x11 driver you use?

If you want fast and really light environment, you should try running window manager with only the apps you need. For example pekwm/openbox/fluxbox or a tiling WM, like wmii/dwm.

You can also use these WMs with GNOME or XFCE.

Can I just compile a small gnome withou epiphany evince firefox or other component that I don't need?
I mean a basic gnome, just like debian's gnome-core package.

The driver is open source nv, i run freebsd release 7.2 amd64 with a nvidia 9500gt, without official support.

but gnome-terminal work well

nv is no faster then vesa, you have no accelration at all, I used it some time ago on FreeBSD i386 (nvidia binary driver was not stable).

This may be the case why display is slower.

If you do not have more then 4GB of RAM I would try i386 and binary nvidia driver (its more stable now propably).

Also, why compile while you can just pkg_add -r ..., its pointless (unless you need to compile in some things that are off by default, like with mplayer)?

But other then that, I do not see the point in compiling, all packages are compiled with -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe and that is more then enought for speed, of course --funroll-loops may add you 0.03 on some binary and so, but I just do not bother.

On slower systems I use packages because compile time takes ages, on faster systems I use packages because I do not see the difference in speed ...

No special reason to compile something, I just like.

I know it need many time, but I still prefer ports.

Perhaps, you are right the nv cause the problem.

vermaden said:
nv is no faster then vesa, you have no accelration at all, I used it some time ago on FreeBSD i386 (nvidia binary driver was not stable).

That is not true, the nv(4) driver supports full 2D acceleration 16bit, 24bit depths and high def resolutions (aka everything you need for a workstation). As stated by the man page.

expl said:
That is not true, the nv(4) driver supports full 2D acceleration 16bit, 24bit depths and high def resolutions (aka everything you need for a workstation). As stated by the man page.

When I used nv driver on GeForce FX series cards gtkperf on nv and vesa had the same results, so either vesa have the same amount of 2D accelration, or nv does not have it at all ...

I third that, it may say whatever it wants but i don't feel difference between vesa and nv. For instance, very laggy scrolling through graphics-intensive web pages.

That's why i have nVidia blob on both my workstation and laptop. I don't do 3D under freeBSD (yet), but it feels normal 2D.

fender0107401 said:
I have tried xfce, it is very small.
When I hite the reboot or shutdown button the system will hang on 1 secont too. How to solve?
Do you have composite enabled in xorg.conf? Afaik that can be the problem, even if you don't have an xorg.conf file, it is enabled by default. Even using the accelerated drivers things lag (eg. resizing or maximizing).
I think another option is to disable compositing from xfwm, but I don't remember if it works.
---

To disable composite from xorg:
- make sure you've got /etc/X11/xorg.conf (or was it /usr/local/etc/...? I'm on Arch now cause I'm new to FreeBSD and the LXDE ports are a total mess)
- if you don't have it, stop X then:
Code:
# X -configure    #this creates an X config file, xorg.conf.new in the current dir
# cp xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf    #or /usr/local/etc, whatever
- edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf and append to the end:
Code:
Section "Extensions"
	Option "Composite" "Disable"
EndSection
...or replace "Enable" with "Disable", if you already have the option there.

vermaden said:
you should try running window manager with only the apps you need. For example pekwm/openbox/fluxbox or a tiling WM, like wmii/dwm.

You can also use these WMs with GNOME or XFCE.

x11-wm/wmfs is so delightful . . . my toes curl up just thinking about it.

@fender0107401: try blackbox: /usr/ports/x11-wm/blackbox

For me it works ok on a small form factor VIA C7 system with 3S Graphic Chipset.

I had performance issues when configuring, solved by adding the following to rc.conf:

Code:
moused_enable="NO"
moused_nondefault_enable="NO"
dbus_enable="YES"
polkitd_enable="YES"
hald_enable="YES"

Also when compiling Xorg, disable hald.

overmind said:
For me it works ok on a small form factor VIA C7 system with 3S Graphic Chipset.

I had performance issues when configuring, solved by adding the following to rc.conf:

Code:
moused_enable="NO"
moused_nondefault_enable="NO"
dbus_enable="YES"
polkitd_enable="YES"
hald_enable="YES"

Also when compiling Xorg, disable hald.

What performance issues?

Using hald/dbus/polkitd will only slow that system down, that may be the 'performance issue'.

Also, You do not need to rebuild x11/xorg without hald, just check this HOWTO:
http://daemonforums.org/showthread.php?t=3935

I thought is a performance issue, but I got no errors in logs or console, and CPU seemed idle, with top command.

The problem was when I've tried to switch from a console screen to another with Alt+F1 ... A+F.. It was stalling, and it took 5 seconds or more to switch.

After I've disabled moused from rc.conf, as in my previous post, switching with Alt+F keys was instant. This is first time I have this problem, on a small form factor mobo with Via CPU.

Back