What is your favorite mouse.

We recently had a thread about favorite keyboards. I would like to know about favorite mice.

I think the most comfortable mouse I have found is the Razer Deathadder gaming mouse. But it comes with nagware that pops up and asks you to install their Synapse software from time to time. My understanding of how they do it (from memory; I can't find the sources just now) is that the mouse not only registers itself as a USB mouse, but also a USB keyboard and a USB thumb drive. From time to time, it uses the fake keyboard to enter a command to run the nagware program off the fake thumb drive. I consider this bad behavior on the part of the vendor, so I do not want to reward it by sending them money. (I suspect that the nagware would fail under FreeBSD, but the principle bothers me.)

I am currently using a 3Dconnexion CadMouse Pro. It is very comfortable, and it has a middle button behind the scroll wheel, which is nice when you have to do an accurate middle click, but I have had a couple of them develop a problem where clicks are registered as double-clicks. Changing the double-click recognition speed has not seemed to help, at least not in Windows (I have not tried that mouse on FreeBSD yet.)

Years ago, I had an ITAC Mouse-Trak Pro trackball. It was kind of pricey, but was very well made. A trackball is not so good when you have to draw something, but in that case, you should probably use something like a Wacom tablet, rather than a mouse. (Anyway, since I really can't draw, if I have to draw something, I use LibreCAD, and let it do the smooth drawing.) I am thinking of giving this one another try. BTW, they also have an industrial version.

What kind of mouse do you recommend?

If you are interested in the ITAC Mouse-Trak, please note that there are two versions, the regular one (the one in the link above), and the mouse-wheel-scrolling one (https://shop.itacsystems.com/products/scrolling-usb-mouse-trak-professional-bscrprxrohs.html).

The difference is that the mouse-wheel-scrolling version has a toggle that turns scrolling on and off. The corresponding industrial version is here: https://shop.itacsystems.com/products/scrolling-usb-industrial-mouse-trak-bscrinxrohs.html

Trackpoint on ThinkPad.
ELECOM M-HT1DRBK "HUGE" trackball (maybe available in Japan only).

The latter has 52mm ball.
My favorite is no mouse: Trackball FTW. And as such: Logitech MX Ergo.

Trackballs are awesome. I used the Kensington Expert Mouse trackball. Unfortunately I succumbed to a regular mouse a few months ago when I played Baldur's Gate and haven't switched back to the trackball yet. Oh the pains in my hand I have to endure because of this foolish decision ...

I use a vertical mouse. Best thing that happened to my wrist in a long time.

I keep a stock of the plain Jane Dell 2-button USB mouse.
This one, along with a ho-hum Microsoft brand of the same mouse, are outstanding for reliability.

1721322593409.png
I can't pick a favourite.

zowie mouse

Code:
usbhid2: <BenQ ZOWIE BenQ ZOWIE Gaming Mouse, class 0/0, rev 2.00/0.20, addr 4> on usbus0

i think mine is the ec2 wired,
works out of the box on Freebsd

zowie.png

SteelSeries Ikari Optical - IMHO Best mouse I've ever had my (right) hand on; too bad it's no longer produced nor anything similar
Just tried to browse mice on the SteelSeries website, can't scroll in Firefox; I'm guessing it thinks I'm on a phone or something. I hate "modern" website design, it's just regression after regression

No mouse. Trackball.
Logitech M570

I've been wandering long through any kind of mouse.
When I started with computers there were no optical mouses, but those with a ball inside, only, collecting dirt ("mouse boogers") in no time, feeling like doing cross country, cleaning the mouse every two days.
And no wireless but wired ones only.
Advantage: Always reliable working, while never any powerloss at all.
Disadvantages: Wire tangles up, e.g. desk's edge, which I find annoying.
So I taped the wire to the desk.
Many mouses come with too short wires to reach from my computer on to the desk, and have enough wire left to use the mouse, not pulling the tight wire within the USB-plug.
So USB-extension cords...and tapes... and still always having a moving wire on the desk...
No satisfaction there for me.
So wireless.
With some I experienced laggy behaviour.
With several the range of their radio signal does not even reach half a meter, especially not, if there is not clear air between the dongle and the mouse, like a monitor or another USB-port is used by a stick.
Many running out of battery too quickly, always when you don't need it, piling up wasted batterys - also not very ecofriendly.
Those with a fixed battery (LiIon) installed inside, coming with some "docking station" are even worse.
They are (way) more expensive, and when the battery cell reached its EOL (app. 2...3 years), they can be dumped completely after gave you a couple of months being annoyed, that this piece of shit again is already empty after way too few hours, after spending the whole night in the docking station, always stress yourself not to forget to replace this rat onto the fiddly docking station every opportunity, simply cannot be used again by quickly exchange the battery, fumbling for where the damn wire is stored...plug, unplug, replug, unplug, replug... :rude:
Since I experienced the fancy looking docking station was just a decorative waste of space on my desk until I banned it into some shelf while I kept my fancy 270€ "wireless" razer Mamba at the leash, only, I'm done with wireless, fixed internal-battery mouses.

For doing work on my laptop while travelling I once started with my first trackball.
Advantages:
Very small usage of space; perfect for usage on those small flap-tables in trains; does not need its own "mouse-court", can be used everywhere, on every surface, even on your legs.
No "tennis-" aka "mouse-arm"; arm and hand pretty much rest (Other experiences may tell you otherwise, but to me it's way better.)
My one is wireless with one AA-cell, lasting for many, many months without recharge/exchange,
but wired would also not bother me much, since there is no moving wire anymore.
Once I got the hang of it I use those on all my machines, only.
Also you may learn new curse words, when one of your colleagues want to show you something on your machine, scratching the trackball over the desk, while the pointer only jerks randomly. It's like confronting an emacs-only user with vim. Always very funny.

Disadvantages: Need to get used to.
Nothing for to play shooters with.

Back