Solved What is the PF's interface name when FreeBSD is on virtualbox?

Hi all,

I am trying to use pf on FreeBSD 14.1, my testing FreeBSD is on VirtualBox as a guest, when I define the external interface in pf.conf, I am not sure what the interface name should be...

In my pf.conf, I have tried to use:

Code:
ext_if = "vtnet0"

block all
pass in on $ext_if proto tcp to port { 80 443 }

it should allow access to the web server, but it is blocked, if I remove the "on $ext_if" as below, it works:

Code:
ext_if = "vtnet0"

block all
pass in proto tcp to port { 80 443 }

so it seems the ext_if is incorrect, but what name should I put it?

Thanks.

thanks, in the FreeBSD, ifconfig shows I have "em0", "lo0" and "pflog0", I have tried to use:

ext_if = "em0"

but it doesn't work too... FYI, the FreeBSD VM network setting is using "Bridged Adapter" on VirtualBox.

What is the interface name when FreeBSD is on virtualbox?
It depends on how the interface was configured in the VM settings. I believe by default Virtualbox picks "Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop" for a FreeBSD guest, which will be em(4). I usually set this to "Paravirtualized Network (virtio-net)" which then shows up as vtnet(4).

FYI, I tested these rules in a 14.0-RELEASE VM in VirtualBox. The interface is em0, also with "bridged adapter". This just works as intended: all packets in & out are blocked except TCP 80 & 443 in.

Thanks all, yes, em0 is correct. Finally I find that I've used an incorrect way to update the rules, I should use "pfctl -f pf.conf" instead of restarting the pf service, that's why the results keep confused me, sorry that I am a newbie. 😅

You can use service pf reload.

Code:
pf_reload()
{
        echo "Reloading pf rules."
        pf_resync
}

pf_resync()
{
        $pf_program -n -f "$pf_rules" $pf_flags || return 1
        $pf_program -f "$pf_rules" $pf_flags
}