What is the difference between 6.4 and 7.1

it's pretty possible it will be released sometime about Christmas actually :)

danger@ said:
it's pretty possible it will be released sometime about Christmas actually :)

51988.gif

Was a bummer to see the expected dates come and go. But I've been keeping up with the test releases and they seem to work quite well for me. I haven't played with 6.4 versions, only 7.1.

I think we can expect, as usual, a solid and well finalized release hopefully around Christmas. Should make for a great stocking stuffer!

I'm not sure where a relnotes document is for either version but I
have had great luck on changes and issues by browsing the mailing lists appropriately. You should be able to quickly find any relevant info there.

http://docs.freebsd.org/mail/

I don't remember many details other than the 6.4 is supposed to be the last version for 6 branch. So, if you were to ask which to try to install first, I would suggest the 7.0-PRERELEASE (AKA 7.0-STABLE). Good luck.

heh my predictions may be true then, major branches seem to be getting short and shorter life spans. I prediced that it decreases by 1 like this.

5.x - 5.5 then EOL
6.x - 6.4 then EOL
7.x - 7.3 then EOL

the last high quality release branch 4.x had 11 minor releases refining it.

I had to post to this.

4.XX was an awesome branch. I ran it through it's entire lifespan and even a bit afterward.

I really don't have a huge problem with the versioning schema but it would be nice to see the standard long-lasting release branches.

This has come up in conversation over and over again with fellow FreeBSD junkies about how versions are flying through faster and faster and it's nearly impossible to use a major version in production without having to do several major version upgrades to it. *shrug*

Kind of seems like we are on a course of doing a major upgrade once a year. Even high amounts of changes don't require a major change. Any thoughts?

The primary reason for switching the branch is because of major changes and internal API/ABI compatibility. It's a FreeBSD policy not to introduce changes that would break compatibility for kernel modules into the branch, and that means some things just cannot be backported from -CURRENT. Also, some changes are so disruptive they have little chances for being backported either.

Basically, branches are getting shorter, because more people work on adding major features and introducing major changes, while few people are working on release engineering.

4.x was the best FreeBSD branch to date for me too. I still have 2 machines running it. FreeBSD 7.x, though, is shaping up to be the next best since 4.x.

Back