what is the Vulnerability Scanner tool in freebsd14.1 ?

dear all :
I want a vulnerability scanner tool in FreeBSD 14.1, could you advise some tools for me? Thanks.
i just want to find a tools in freebsd14.1 ,and use it scan my client computer Vulnerability through Lan network or internet network . thanks.

Last edited:
dear all :
i have installed openvas with "pkg install openvas" ..........i just find 3 command
openvas openvas-nasl openvas-nasl-lint

then, i am going to https://www.greenbone.net/en/ . no user manual for openvas command.

anyone can show me some link or step to use openvas to scan Vulnerability in freebsd14.1 ..thanks.

i have installed openvas with "pkg install openvas" ..........i just find 3 command
Had never used it but this is only a part of the scanner, I should have told you to install security/gvm. Then carefully read the pkg-message, if you missed it; pkg info -D gvm.

You might get an error on one of the commands, it seems it's missing a dependency devel/py-shtab, just pkg install py311-shtab

Code:
root@fbsd-test:~ # su -m gvm -c "greenbone-nvt-sync"
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/bin/greenbone-nvt-sync", line 5, in <module>
    from greenbone.feed.sync.main import main
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.11/site-packages/greenbone/feed/sync/main.py", line 22, in <module>
    from greenbone.feed.sync.parser import CliParser
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.11/site-packages/greenbone/feed/sync/parser.py", line 10, in <module>
    import shtab
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'shtab'
After that the command should work:
Code:
Trying to acquire lock on /var/lib/openvas/feed-update.lock
Acquired lock on /var/lib/openvas/feed-update.lock
⠼ Downloading Notus files from rsync://feed.community.greenbone.net/community/vulnerability-feed/22.04/vt-data/notus/ to
/var/lib/notus
{... downloading might take a while ...}

Haven't finished the rest of the instructions yet.

dear ryppn:
thanks. do you know some tools for remote scan Vulnerability in freebsd14.1 ? i just want to find a tools in freebsd14.1 ,and use it scan my client computer Vulnerability . thanks.

The question should really be, what are your behaviours that make you vulnerable?

Don't forget about the security checks that get run from periodic. They give a quick overview of any CVEs against installed software and simple things like login failures and refused connections.

Had never used it but this is only a part of the scanner, I should have told you to install security/gvm. Then carefully read the pkg-message, if you missed it; pkg info -D gvm.

You might get an error on one of the commands, it seems it's missing a dependency devel/py-shtab, just pkg install py311-shtab

Code:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/bin/greenbone-nvt-sync", line 5, in <module>
    from greenbone.feed.sync.main import main
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.11/site-packages/greenbone/feed/sync/main.py", line 22, in <module>
    from greenbone.feed.sync.parser import CliParser
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.11/site-packages/greenbone/feed/sync/parser.py", line 10, in <module>
    import shtab
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'shtab'
After that the command should work:
Code:
Trying to acquire lock on /var/lib/openvas/feed-update.lock
Acquired lock on /var/lib/openvas/feed-update.lock
⠼ Downloading Notus files from rsync://feed.community.greenbone.net/community/vulnerability-feed/22.04/vt-data/notus/ to
/var/lib/notus
{... downloading might take a while ...}

Haven't finished the rest of the instructions yet.
Dear sirDice :
thanks for your help , surprise for me . keep going study.

dear all :
i have meet a new question about configure Greenbone Vulnerability Manager version 23.5.2 system for scanner. when i start gmvd service ,, erros is below . any one can help me solve it ? thanks.

md main:MESSAGE:2024-09-14 08h19.39 utc :2894: Greenbone Vulnerability Manager version 23.5.2 (DB revision 255)
md manage:WARNING:2024-09-14 08h19.39 utc :2895: sql_exec_internal: PQexec failed: ERROR: relation "public.meta" does not exist
LINE 1: SELECT value FROM public.meta WHERE name = 'database_version...
^
(7)
md manage:WARNING:2024-09-14 08h19.39 utc :2895: sql_exec_internal: SQL: SELECT value FROM public.meta WHERE name = 'database_version';
md manage:WARNING:2024-09-14 08h19.39 utc :2895: sql_x: sql_exec_internal failed
md manage:MESSAGE:2024-09-14 08h19.39 utc :2895: No SCAP database found
md manage:MESSAGE:2024-09-14 08h19.39 utc :2895: No CERT database found
libgvm util:WARNING:2024-09-14 08h19.39 utc :2895: Setting GnuPG dir failed: Invalid crypto engine <GPGME>
md crypt:CRITICAL:2024-09-14 08h19.39 utc :2895: lsc_crypt_new: can't continue w/o a gpgme context

postgresql version is 15.7
Greenbone Vulnerability Manager version 23.5.2

any "meta" table in your postgresql database? did the scripts that populate the database run properly? It looks like you might have an empty database?

any "meta" table in your postgresql database? did the scripts that populate the database run properly? It looks like you might have an empty database?
dear cmoerz:
thanks. the i don't know what is meta table in my gvmd database. below is my database .

psql (15.7)
Type "help" for help.

gvmd=# \l
List of databases
Name | Owner | Encoding | Collate | Ctype | ICU Locale | Locale Provider | Access privileges
-----------+----------+----------+---------+-------------+------------+-----------------+-----------------------
gvmd | gvm | UTF8 | C | en_US.UTF-8 | | libc |
postgres | postgres | UTF8 | C | en_US.UTF-8 | | libc |
template0 | postgres | UTF8 | C | en_US.UTF-8 | | libc | =c/postgres +
| | | | | | | postgres=CTc/postgres
template1 | postgres | UTF8 | C | en_US.UTF-8 | | libc | =c/postgres +
| | | | | | | postgres=CTc/postgres
(4 rows)

gvmd=# \dn
List of schemas
Name | Owner
--------+-------------------
public | pg_database_owner
(1 row)

i can't find the public.meta . just public table in there. thanks.

Are you sure that you successfully populated the gvmd database? Is that database consistent with the other configuration?
Previously, this was done via
Code:
su -m gvm
gvmd -m
I recommend checking the port's messages, as SirDice previously suggested: pkg info -D gvm.

Are you sure that you successfully populated the gvmd database? Is that database consistent with the other configuration?
Previously, this was done via
Code:
su -m gvm
gvmd -m
I recommend checking the port's messages, as SirDice previously suggested: pkg info -D gvm.
Dear cmoerz :
thanks for your reply. all of step following manual of "pkg info -D gvm ". but that is not work. can you try a freebsd14.1 vm to test gvm ? thanks.

Back