What is the best derivative compatible with FreeBSD?

Hello to all,
do you help me identify among the many, a derivative of FreeBSD that is compatible with pkg and ports and you don't risk dying like so many born and never developed?

Thanks

DragonFly was, IDK if it still is, it probably is less so now compatible with ports, but I don't know if it's better. I would rather stay with this one.

We are all disappointed with TrueOS/Trident. PC-BSD was in a relatively good position to be a coordination point for desktop related things and then they decided to get weird.

Agreed. Makes no sense to me, they basically abandoned their user base on a whim.

DragonflyBSD is not exactly a derivative but a fork made long time ago. Then, unless you are looking for specialized stuff like FreeNAS, I do suppose GhostBSD is the only active FreeBSD derivative around.

Not this on, even I a Linux first user, after seeing that most of the distros re just copies of an original, which there really isn't many. Slackware, RedHat, Debian, Arch, to name a few of the forerunners, the rest are just derivatives of them. Nothing much better, just someones idea of another spin on them making a default desktop, but the guts are still the same.

Therefore one is not getting a 'better' distro by installing LinuxMint, (though that is a nicer Linux then Ubunutu saturated distro MO).

I just got for the orginal then modify it to my liking.

Same for FreeBSD, every *BSD I seen out there branches off from FreeBSD, so why not just use FreeBSD and modify it to your own liking?

It's a pretty much from scratch OS being no desktop GUI Xorg, OS. just a barebones Server setup install. Everyone else is trying on there own to come up with something different because of there own personal reasons, look up the history on it.

anyways as with most others in here, Might as well just use FreeBSD because all of or most all of the others pull from it anyways and some are not even being maintained anymore, or if they are not as often perhaps due to lack of people working on it to do so.
te

Just get a scripting language under your belt and the basic commands on now to run and maintain the system you're pretty much good to go, anything else... well that is what the forums are for.

It is all open source so it can be changed if you do not like what you're seeing or dealing with.

Err, Arch is a derivative/copy of Slackware. 👀
it is? I did not know that.
the way it is setup I cannot even install it, I do not have a dedicated line, and the last time I looked its install process is too complected for me to deal with. even the video's I've watch on how to install the person has two systems one working to read the instructions on how to and the other to install it on.

In todays world they came up with an installer to rid themselves of such a method Arch uses to install its system.

I've used manjaro, and Artix Linux though...

Arch Linux just got Slackware and put some user friendly tooling (like pacman, Slackware don't have/had automated package management by default) and hype on top of it. The design and the way you manage the system etc. are basically the same (except by the Arch specific tooling).

The Arch and Slackware installation is/was basically the same too, not automated.

In the beginning there were near no difference between Arch and Slack but pacman and related stuff.

[EDIT]

And IIRC Slack use /usr/local while Arch not.

...and you don't risk dying like so many born and never developed?

I can't remember the last time we sacrificed a virgin to Evil Incarnate, but Halloween is coming up. 👰

That said, you stand less chance of a user fatal error if you stick with FreeBSD proper.

Is it me or does that linux distro family tree look like it comes from some rural redneck place?

alabama.JPG

Quite frankly, FreeBSD (at least since 11.0) has been quite easy for me to get up and running for basic usage, either server side or desktop side. You can make it complicated, if you want a fully customized system, but I find with pkg install I can have a fully operational FreeBSD desktop system going in no time. Sure, I've done several installs in a VM, learned a bunch along the way, and continue to learn more and find configurations or utilities that make it easier to use, but at this point I think (as long as you have compatible hardware) FreeBSD is as simple to setup as anything. Now, if you are looking for some special appliance-like derivatives, like pfsense or FreeNAS, that's a different story.

Back