What does X mean and how to install

Can any one explain to me what the X means before a word. like X windows or X laptop
im dumb about linux and unix. I have been wanting to install freebsd on my laptop
but i dont know how. I have made attempts as far as downloading the iso files and copy them to
my cd's but after a reboot it didnt install itself. Ive tried copying the gpartd to my cd's
and run them at reboot and still not install even gpartd. i have messed around with boot prioritys
in bios. and for some reason reboot is not installing the files from gpartd or the iso cd's
i first started with copying the full iso's with all the packages. then wouund up just with the
boot only iso. still it is not installing the iso's. any help please.

Also I dont know much about how to find out the technical stuff about my computer
like where to look for what kind of platform i have. I do know its a hp dv4000 with 99gb hd
and i think, ( i dont know for sure) it has 512 mb memory. anymore help on finding more info on my computer is very greatful please.

Posts moved to new thread. Do not hijack other people's threads, please.

cromwellot: check out the links in DutchDaemon's signature. Don't be in a hurry. It took me at least two years before I was completely comfortable with FreeBSD, but look at me now: I'm like Bruce Jenner without the facial surgery or the Armenian step-daughters.

Back