Other what database is this, guys ?

Hello !
What is a database dump ?
How to import them ?

Is there a general way to retrieve its structure?

Tips are welcome.
Thanks very much in advance.

Last edited:
Ummm...didn't we just go through this? Make whomever gave you the CD also give you some documentation/instructions.

Make whomever gave you the CD also give you some documentation/instructions.

Generally, Before ask for documentation/instructions is better analyze the problem ... also to be sure what about the question has to be posed.
Suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Before ask for documentation/instructions is better analyze the problem

Unless getting information from the person who provided the data is difficult, I'd say asking would be the first choice before going to the extent of trying to figure out what everything is manually or start reverse engineering things.

The file command would be my first step. It will tell you whether a file is ascii/binary (could just open it but I'm usually on the console and binary data screws my session up); More importantly it will often be able to identify binary files such as various binary database formats.

If it was MySQL data then was it a simple text dump? If so it would be easy to identify just by looking in the file.

For looking at the database structure in the MySQL cli, the show tables and desc <tablename> will be the most useful commands.

Those aren't database dumps. They're simply copies of the actual table files. If these are MyISAM you may be able to use them, if it's InnoDB they're useless.

Ask them to provide you with a proper dump using mysqldump(1).

Before ask for documentation/instructions is better analyze the problem ... also to be sure what about the question has to be posed.
There's really only one valid question you can ask, "What the hell am I supposed to do with this?"

Since you are obviously set on not going to the source directly, I'm willing to forrensically analyze your data for $80usd/hour. If the files can be converted to text then I will do so. If not, then I'll send you a report on what I did find out. (of course after full payment has been received)

Since you are obviously set on not going to the source directly, I'm willing to forrensically analyze your data for $80usd/hour. If the files can be converted to text then I will do so. If not, then I'll send you a report on what I did find out. (of course after full payment has been received)

Thanks very much.
I've solved the problem.

:):):):):)

Tanks very much !

Back