What about a new category for Virtualization?

• Thread starter Deleted member 63539
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 63539

On that category, we should have forums for VirtualBox and Bhyve. Currently, if we have questions about Bhyve, we can only post it on Off-Topic.

Bhyve is part of the base OS, so general would be more appropriate. Off-topic is for non-FreeBSD questions or general chit-chat.
This means I have mistakenly use Off-Topic for my Bhyve threads for a while. Sorry.

Then we just open another forums for "OS Level Virtualization" or "Containers". Please do not include jails, focker,... in that Virtualization category. Only Bhyve and VirtualBox, please.

Almost forgot, I didn't think about case such as running Bhyve inside a jail.

It make sense to have a dedicated category for VM. But I guess it will fill with topics similar to "jail vs docker", "jail is not docker", "where is docker" etc!

Don't get me started on docker and it's fanboys. Just don't.

Reactions: a6h
Then we just open another forums for "OS Level Virtualization" or "Containers". Please do not include jails, focker,... in that Virtualization category. Only Bhyve and VirtualBox, please.

What about Qemu? It seems it's never mentioned in a FreeBSD context. For some time i actually thought it was unsupported but from what i can tell it is in the ports collection. How comes it is so unpopular?

We haven't had a section for virtualization because there just wasn't enough posts to warrant its own section. We're considering creating one now, the number of posts have been steadily increasing and it was always a bit difficult to place those posts in any of the existing sections.

I'm suggesting a "Virtualization" section, under "Server and networking". That would cover bhyve, Virtualbox, qemu, etc. both as guest and as host. Jails would be included too, as that's also a form of virtualization. There's no point in further splitting it up, you'd end up with nearly empty sections.

bhyve and virtualbox belong together. Because, a general user does not care if it is in base or not.
Likewise sendmail and postfix belong together.

What about Qemu? It seems it's never mentioned in a FreeBSD context. For some time i actually thought it was unsupported but from what i can tell it is in the ports collection. How comes it is so unpopular?
qemu without kvm acceleration shouldn't be included in Virtualization but Emulation. Unless somehow we could get qemu with Bhyve acceleration. I have seen the NetBSD guys have both qemu with the HAXM acceleration and qemu with the NVMM acceleration so I think it's entirely possible. But I do not expect it to be happen because it seemed there is no interests from the Bhyve or qemu developers.

I'm suggesting a "Virtualization" section, under "Server and networking". That would cover bhyve, Virtualbox, qemu, etc. both as guest and as host. Jails would be included too, as that's also a form of virtualization. There's no point in further splitting it up, you'd end up with nearly empty sections.
I prefer VirtualBox and Bhyve as separate. They serve two completely different purpose. Bhyve is for enterprise virtualization and VirtualBox is for people simply want to run other OSes virtualized. Mixing the two is not something we should do.

bhyve and virtualbox belong together. Because, a general user does not care if it is in base or not.
Likewise sendmail and postfix belong together.
No. Bhyve is Bhyve and VirtualBox is VirtualBox. They are completely different products. So please don't mix them.

qemu without kvm acceleration shouldn't be included in Virtualization but Emulation. Unless somehow we could get qemu with Bhyve acceleration. I have seen the NetBSD guys have both qemu with the HAXM acceleration and qemu with the NVMM acceleration so I think it's entirely possible. But I do not expect it to be happen because it seemed there is no interests from the Bhyve or qemu developers.

I see. If there is no acceleration it's understandable it doesn't see much use. In my opinion it's still virtualization though. Having to emulate everything in software makes it slow but the general functionality doesn't change. You could still run your VPS company on it. There would just be a ton of complaints and probably zero renewals.

It's not like we're getting swamped with questions about qemu. And for most people that use qemu they use it as a form of virtualization. Emulators could be included too, it's a way to run some other type of machine within a machine. So it's a sort of virtual environment, even if it doesn't use the strict technical definition of virtualization.

It's going to depend on the exact question if it fits or not. Questions regarding how to install <insert name> virtualization software could also fall in the "Installation and maintenance of ports and packages" category. Questions on how to network two VMs might be better asked in "Networking".

I prefer VirtualBox and Bhyve as separate. They serve two completely different purpose. Bhyve is for enterprise virtualization and VirtualBox is for people simply want to run other OSes virtualized. Mixing the two is not something we should do.
Irrelevant distinction, they both serve the same purpose and have the same basic principles regardless of their usage. Besides that, I know some of our members use Virtualbox in an enterprise environment.

Irrelevant distinction, they both serve the same purpose and have the same basic principles regardless of their usage. Besides that, I know some of our members use Virtualbox in an enterprise environment.
Oh. This is the first time I hear this.

Oh. This is the first time I hear this.
VBox utilizes of basic virtualization features of the CPU. There might be a highly optimized version available that uses more VM features of the hardware, for enterprise customers who are willing to pay a license & support fee. Who knows, maybe in the future they will integrate bhyve as a backend.

Don't forget XEN. This is one of the virtualization options besides bhyve and VBOX. Already big enough material for a new category ;)
Yeah. Almost forgot about Xen. It's not mentioned much here, though. Mostly Bhyve and VirtualBox.

As some may have noticed, I've been offline for a while. I got taken out by some severe repetitive strain injury in my right shoulder. After a few weeks things are looking better, I can move my arm properly again and I'm back at work (half days though). Still have some physical therapy once a week, progress is slow but I'm getting there. It's been mostly painless the last week or so.

In any case, I was about to create the section when I got taken out. So things went quiet. But I'm back and I've just created the sub. I've opted to go with "Emulation and Virtualization" as there's a lot of overlap between the two even if they're technically different things. I've also added a few prefixes specifically for this section. These include "jails", "bhyve", "vbox" and "qemu". I can add more if the need arises.

I've moved this thread to the new section, it's the first thread. I might add a sticky to further explain what should and should not be posted here.

I added vmware, proxmox, xen, hyper-v and a 'general/other' for now. Let's not further differentiate between host/guest/hypervisor stuff; the post should make that clear. Prefixes have been made mandatory in this sub-forum. Either request a new prefix if the current selection doesn't fit, and/or use general/other as temporary parking.

There may be a case for a 'cloud' prefix (think AWS/Azure/Google and other public cloud providers, which are, of course, virtualized). I'll leave that up to developments.

Back