Solved Weird signs in console. Urxvt & unicode?

I am using zsh, oh-my-zsh and Urxvt. I used my old configuration file (.Xdefaults) from Linux, which works perfectly on Linux, but now I have some weird signs showing up, which looks like there is an issue with unicode:

Left is the one with my old .Xdefaults, in the middle it is a .Xresources from this forum and on the right it's xterm.

Thanks a lot for your help :)

ok, I figure out that the locale must be set (obviously), but I don't know how to do this in FreeBSD? (and I thought I already did this in some file while going through an installation tutorial)

Everything works fine if I use the following command:
Code:
export LC_ALL="en_US.UTF-8" && urxvt

Don't set LC_ALL. Set the LANG environment variable. For Bourne type shells (that includes zsh) you can do this in ~/.profile for example.

Don't set LC_ALL. Set the LANG environment variable. For Bourne type shells (that includes zsh) you can do this in ~/.profile for example.

Oh yeah... I forgot to mention that LC_ALL is only used for testing. Never set it somewhere! Just wanted to show that unicode worked temporarily.

I've read that the correct way in FreeBSD is to edit login.conf in the home directory and add the following:
Code:
me:\
:charset=UTF-8:\
:lang=en_GB.UTF-8:

It works and after executing locale it looks good too:

Code:
LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

I've read that the correct way in FreeBSD is to edit login.conf
It's a way of doing it. Setting LANG in one of your shell startup scripts is correct too. Personally I would only use a system-wide login.conf to set this for any and all users. For single user settings the shell's startup scripts are easier to understand and manage.

Back