Solved Wayland forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

decuser

Is it time to add a Wayland forum? Personally, xorg’s showing its age, and I’m curious what the plan is - stick it out with aging foundation or move to Wayland? I’m also wondering what pieces work and which don’t and I’d prolly give it a shot if we had a forum to browse/watch for issues, fixes, and workarounds. As it stands Wayland questions are all over the place.

Thoughts?

Jose

Daemon

Then we can talk about Arcan too! If I ever get around to actually trying it out.

SirDice

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

Maybe just rename the X.Org forum to "Display servers". That should be enough.
That's a good suggestion. I don't think there's enough content yet to fill a (sub)forum with wayland specific questions. We can always split this up into Xorg and Wayland later as sub forums if there's enough content.

drhowarddrfine

Son of Beastie

Every so often I find an article from someone far too knowledgeable about all this saying Wayland is a mistake and cannot and should not replace X under any circumstances.

astyle

Daemon

Every so often I find an article from someone far too knowledgeable about all this saying Wayland is a mistake and cannot and should not replace X under any circumstances.
Links, please.

Oh, but Wayland is gaining steam... there's efforts to make Java usable under Wayland. I'm not a fan of Java, but given how firmly entrenched it is in today's economy, I would take it as Wayland moving in the direction of more widespread adoption.

hardworkingnewbie

In the good old Usenet days we had one simple motto when somebody wanted to create a new newsgroup: show me the traffic, Luke!

Since it's so nichy an own group is unjustified in my opinion; putting it into a related group makes sense like eternal_noob suggested.

Jose

Daemon

Agreed, but I wonder. How usable is it right now?

astyle

Daemon

I was going to say that it's just random write ups but one I just read recently, and was in my browser's history, is this one but I don't recall who he is or why someone pointed me to that article.
Thanks for the link. I read it - the author is quoting Wayland incompatibilities that go as far back as 2015, but the most recent issue quoted by the author in the article is from 2018. (Actually, I stand corrected - it's June 3, 2021, but it doesn't change my point, which I will get to shortly).

For every single issue pointed out in that article, there is active development going on to address it. And while the comments section was awfully long, I got the impression that about half the comments were making the same point I am making here - issues are legit, but actively being addressed.

astyle

Daemon

But there are issues and this is only one of the many articles I've seen this year. I can't take a side because X works for me and I have other more pressing things to take care of.
I guess I'll be the one getting the hot new stuff ;) :p

Alain De Vos

Son of Beastie

Code:
pkg info | grep -i xorg                                                                                                    0
xorg-fonts-truetype-7.7_1      X.Org TrueType fonts
xorg-minimal-7.5.2_3           X.Org minimal distribution metaport
xorg-server-1.20.11_3,1        X.Org X server and related programs
xorgproto-2021.4               X Window System unified protocol definitions
I'm certain i can reduce this.

astyle

Daemon

Code:
pkg info | grep -i xorg                                                                                                    0
xorg-fonts-truetype-7.7_1      X.Org TrueType fonts
xorg-minimal-7.5.2_3           X.Org minimal distribution metaport
xorg-server-1.20.11_3,1        X.Org X server and related programs
xorgproto-2021.4               X Window System unified protocol definitions
I'm certain i can reduce this.
That was 4 packages, not 2... 😩

Alain De Vos

Son of Beastie

I was logged into a jail when i wrote 2 not the host. Can happen to the best persons.

Beastie7

Aspiring Daemon

Well, it looks like upstream has finally decided to include FreeBSD support. So it seems appropriate and timely for this change.

Status
Not open for further replies.