WANTED: Mac mini users

trev

Aspiring Daemon

I am in the process of updating the FreeBSD Wiki and would like to hear from any Mac mini users with hardware models:

* macmini1,1 (2006)
* macmini4,1 (2010)
* macmini6,1 (2012)
* macmini7,1 (2014)
* macmini8,1 (2018)

Specifically:

* Does the IR daemon utility aird(1) from sysutils/aird work?
* Does the Bluetooth device work with ng_ubt(4) ?
* Does the FireWire device fwohci(4) work? (macmini4,1; macmini6,1)
* Is the wireless device supported? If so, by which device driver?
* Is Ethernet supported? If so, by which device driver?
* Is sound supported? If so, by which device driver?
* Is xorg video supported? If so, by which driver?

And for the macmini6,1, macmini7,1 and macmini8,1 models - Would you be willing test a patched (by me) asmc(4) kernel module (allows setting of fan speed, reporting of fan RPMs and sensor temperatures) ?

wardbones

Hello, trev,

I'm on a MacBookPro 8,1 and I find that a lot of the hardware tips are the same. Just chiming in. Things are going well. I would like to see any progress on firewire and bcm4331 wifi.

jaysonwashere

I am due to decommission my 2014 Mac mini 7,1 soon and will be installing FreeBSD onto it, I am happy to report back to you on these things if you still require this. trev

wardbones

I am due to decommission my 2014 Mac mini 7,1 soon and will be installing FreeBSD onto it, I am happy to report back to you on these things if you still require this.
A friend really wanted a Mac so I sold it! :( Wishing you great success. I had a ball setting up FreeBSD on that machine.

Butterfly

Hi trev , happy to hear some action around upgrading a mini mac. Mine is a 2.1...I tried just about everything short of shooting a sizable amount of bullets in it... 😉
If we can help each other out, I'm game.
It has specs, it seems a mac's specs can be traced via its serial number : YM833200YL1 (that was new to me) though mine has 320Gb disk and 3Gb RAM...it seems to have had some form of upgrade...
I'd love to hear from you...
Melissa

Hakaba

Whaou ! I have and old MBP (3.1 core 2 duo 2.4, 6go ram).
I will read this post with attention for FreeBSDify it...

OP
T

trev

Aspiring Daemon

The FreeBSD Wiki Mac mini page may be of some help. Unfortunately the FreeBSD Wiki Macbook page is probably somewhat out of date.