Solved VPS for dummies (I am in this case)

Reading here and there, the VPS concept like me
This question if a general protocol/setup that I can find on the web
but asked here first , and if I made someting will be on FreeBSD of course
any experiencies? howto? examples? (for "dummies" like a say)
thanks!!

If by VPS you mean "Virtual Private Server" then you just install FreeBSD the same way you would install Linux or any other operating system.

Some VPS providers provide pre-made one-click setups. If they don't have one for FreeBSD just ask them to mount the ISO for you. They tend to be very cooperative.

Installing on a VPS is no different from installing on "bare metal". A VPS is simply a hosted virtual machine. And it depends on the provider what's possible. My first VPS provider for example only allowed installation using a set of pre-made images. My current VPS provider lets me do the entire install, from start to finish myself, from an ISO I can supply.

Installing on a VPS is no different from installing on "bare metal". A VPS is simply a hosted virtual machine. And it depends on the provider what's possible. My first VPS provider for example only allowed installation using a set of pre-made images. My current VPS provider lets me do the entire install, from start to finish myself, from an ISO I can supply.

So,is like have a bunch of VM providing network services(firewall,web hosting,dns)?

So,is like have a bunch of VM providing network services(firewall,web hosting,dns)?
The provider takes care of the infrastructure and you essentially rent a VM with a set number of cores, memory and disk space. You can do whatever you want on that VM (within their usage policy of course). The upside of a VPS compared to "bare metal" is that the underlying storage, VM hosts, infrastructure, etc. is all built fault-tolerant and maintained by the provider. It's also quite easy to "upgrade" your VPS by adding more cores, more memory or more storage.

The provider takes care of the infrastructure and you essentially rent a VM with a set number of cores, memory and disk space. You can do whatever you want on that VM (within their usage policy of course). The upside of a VPS compared to "bare metal" is that the underlying storage, VM hosts, infrastructure, etc. is all built fault-tolerant and maintained by the provider.

better explain is impossible..thanks

Back