Solved vmm.ko not fully loading or fails to load correctly

From time to time I use VMs on my system, managed with sysutils/vm-bhyve, and now that I'm looking into possibily contributing a few ports I might utilize Bhyve more to run a VM for development/testing (or possibly a jail).

I already have a couple of VMs setup on my box, at the time when I setup these VMs everything worked fine, but now something seems to be wrong with the vmm kernel module on my system. The module is getting automatically loaded at boot, can be verified with kldstat

Code:
[/u/h/vendion]─> kldstat | grep vmm
59    1 0xffffffff83814000   537460 vmm.ko

When I try to run a command with vm-bhyve, which tries to verify if the vmm kernel module is loaded into memory or not, fails because it fails to detect the module being loaded and tries to load it again. Interestingly if I run kldstat -m vmm or kldstat -n vmm I get different output:

Code:
[/u/h/vendion]─> kldstat -m vmm
kldstat: can't find module vmm: No such file or directory
[/u/h/vendion]─> kldstat -n vmm
Id Refs Address                Size Name
59    1 0xffffffff83814000   537460 vmm.ko

Now my understanding is that the module should be returned with both arguments rather than just the "-n" flag. Now if I manually unload the kernel module some commands, like listing VMs works but I'm not able to start one:

Code:
[/u/h/vendion]─> sudo vm list
/usr/local/sbin/vm: ERROR: unable to load vmm.ko!
[/u/h/vendion]─> sudo kldunload vmm
[/u/h/vendion]─> sudo vm list
NAME          DATASTORE  LOADER     CPU  MEMORY  VNC  AUTOSTART  STATE
arch          default    grub       2    2G      -    No         Stopped
arch-test     default    grub       2    2G      -    No         Stopped
fbsd-current  default    bhyveload  2    4G      -    No         Stopped
pacbsd        default    bhyveload  2    2G      -    No         Stopped
[/u/h/vendion]─>

Because it has been a long time since I last ran a VM under bhyve, the only changes I recall that may have affected this are: Upgrading from FreeBSD 12.0-p2 -> 12.0-p3, updating my BIOS firmware, upgrading vm-byhve to v1.3.0 (none of the changes affecting module detection though). Looking through /var/log/messages I don't see any obvious errors there regarding the module when it gets loaded/unloaded and I don't know where else to check to try and debug this.

Last edited:
Follow up on my issue, it seems that when I upgraded the BIOS firmware on my system all my settings except for virtualization support (SVM) was left how I had it. The SVM feature was disabled by the upgrade which explains why the vmm kernel module was not loading correctly.

It's always a good idea to force loading the default settings after a BIOS upgrade/update. Then review all options again.

It's always a good idea to force loading the default settings after a BIOS upgrade/update. Then review all options again.

Yeah I checked all the other settings that I customized after the BIOS update, just didn't check the SVM setting for what ever reason. (Really after seeing the other settings was how I had them previously I got lazy and mistakenly/preemptively called it good... )

Back