general/other VM in a tiled WM

I apologize upfront for asking such a double-noob question; but I need a quick hand-holding. Call me "chicken" but I'd really like confirmation before I buy hardware that doesn't solve my problem.

I have not had the means to experiment for myself yet. I need a non-Windows, non-Apple machine for some upcoming writing projects. I know many people write in everything from Emacs to LaTex to any number of Markdown editors. Unfortunately, I have to use a particular particular MS/Apple-only program.

I'd like to have my research, (in .htm, .txt, .rtf, .pdf, .jpg/png/gif formats), in a left-hand window and a right-hand window running the required Windows program. I think I can run a tiling window manager on the hardware and run a VM in a window held in place by a tiling WM.

Is this true?

Thanks for any assistance.

A VM like Virtualbox will just open a window with the virtual machine, you can use any window manager you like to resize it or move it. Virtualbox is nice if you install the addons in the guest, then you get automatic resizing and a "seamless" mouse.

Back