Solved VLAN Initialization Questions

In reading the FreeBSD handbook and various blog posts, it would seem there are at least two ways to initialize a VLAN interface via /etc/rc.conf. I'm assuming the "preferred" method is the FreeBSD handbook method, but are there any performance/security/etc. benefits to one method vs. the other?

FreeBSD handbook method:
Code:
vlans_igb0="25"
ifconfig_igb0_25="inet 172.16.25.1/24 up"

Alternative method:
Code:
cloned_interfaces="vlan25"
ifconfig_vlan25="inet 172.16.25.1/24 vlandev igb0 vlan 25 up"

One thing that I have noticed is that I am unable to make use of the jng script if I use the handbook method, whereas the jng script works perfectly with the alternative method.

The only difference in the result should be how the interface is named. Using vlans_ is just convenience otherwise. Note you can use it with custom naming as well like this:
Code:
vlans_igb0="vlan25"
create_args_vlan25="vlan 25"
ifconfig_vlan25="inet 172.16.25.1/24 up"
See also rc.conf(5)

Something interesting that I found while testing various configuration settings is that the /usr/share/examples/jails/jib and /usr/share/examples/jails/jng scripts fail if there is a period in the parent interface name, i.e. igb0.25. However, if the interface is renamed to remove the period, i.e. iotvlan, the scripts work as expected.

I read somewhere that the dotted notation is preferred but I can't remember where I read that. It was something I came across when setting up VLANs in my home network. So I have em1.10, em1.20 etc. on my router for VLANs 10 and 20 for example. Looking at the configurations on my VM host sysutils/vm-bhyve also uses that dotted notation.

Code:
root@hosaka:~ # vm switch list
NAME     TYPE      IFACE       ADDRESS  PRIVATE  MTU   VLAN  PORTS
servers  standard  vm-servers  -        no       9000  11    lagg0
public   standard  vm-public   -        no       9000  10    lagg0
root@hosaka:~ # ifconfig lagg0.10
lagg0.10: flags=8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 9000
        description: vm-vlan-public-lagg0.10
        options=4000000<NOMAP>
        ether 00:25:90:f1:58:39
        groups: vlan vm-vlan viid-bdfd6@
        vlan: 10 vlanproto: 802.1q vlanpcp: 0 parent interface: lagg0
        media: Ethernet autoselect
        nd6 options=29<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>
root@hosaka:~ # ifconfig lagg0.11
lagg0.11: flags=8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 9000
        description: vm-vlan-servers-lagg0.11
        options=4000000<NOMAP>
        groups: vlan vm-vlan viid-8bf4d@
        vlan: 11 vlanproto: 802.1q vlanpcp: 0 parent interface: lagg0

I personally like that notation, it's already clear I'm dealing with a VLAN, so there's no need to explicitly call the interface vlan* too. I can tell it's VLAN 11 on the lagg0 interface, saves me from looking at the interface configuration to see what the parent interface is.

Thank you for that information, SirDice.

I read somewhere that the dotted notation is preferred but I can't remember where I read that. It was something I came across when setting up VLANs in my home network. So I have em1.10, em1.20 etc. on my router for VLANs 10 and 20 for example. Looking at the configurations on my VM host sysutils/vm-bhyve also uses that dotted notation.

Code:
root@hosaka:~ # vm switch list
NAME     TYPE      IFACE       ADDRESS  PRIVATE  MTU   VLAN  PORTS
servers  standard  vm-servers  -        no       9000  11    lagg0
public   standard  vm-public   -        no       9000  10    lagg0
root@hosaka:~ # ifconfig lagg0.10
lagg0.10: flags=8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 9000
        description: vm-vlan-public-lagg0.10
        options=4000000<NOMAP>
        groups: vlan vm-vlan viid-bdfd6@
        vlan: 10 vlanproto: 802.1q vlanpcp: 0 parent interface: lagg0
root@hosaka:~ # ifconfig lagg0.11
lagg0.11: flags=8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 9000
        description: vm-vlan-servers-lagg0.11
        options=4000000<NOMAP>
        groups: vlan vm-vlan viid-8bf4d@
        vlan: 11 vlanproto: 802.1q vlanpcp: 0 parent interface: lagg0

I personally like that notation, it's already clear I'm dealing with a VLAN, so there's no need to explicitly call the interface vlan* too. I can tell it's VLAN 11 on the lagg0 interface, saves me from looking at the interface configuration to see what the parent interface is.

I like the look of the dotted notation as well but I am actively using the /usr/share/examples/jails/jib and /usr/share/examples/jails/jng scripts to create interfaces for jails and I've only just discovered that those scripts aren't able to attach to interfaces with a dot in the name.

I suppose as long as there aren't any performance differences between the two methods, then I don't mind using the non-dotted method.

I suppose as long as there aren't any performance differences between the two methods
There shouldn't be any difference in this regard. It's just a notation difference, there's nothing different "underwater" so to speak.

Back