vbox Virtualbox shared folder leave lock on all accessed files

Hi - I'm using FreeBSD 13.1 in VB 6.1.30. The guest is Win11 and I'm using shared folders. As a host, FreeBSD has access and I can create files (it's mounted rw obviously) but every file created is locked and cannot be removed, (text file busy) by the guest or the host. The guest needs to be rebooted for the file to be unlocked. More strange, when launching an application that sits in the shared folder, the file has a lock put on it as well and can't be removed, until reboot. I'm using VB a lot with all sort of guests and that's not just a basic access right issue on VB's shared folder mechanism. That problem only happens with FreeBSD.

Thanks

There is a PR 245865 for this. I found and fixed an issue in PR 255386. Judging from the similarity in the name who opened that bug it could be you. While I found the issue in the kernel module of the FreeBSD causing the reboot I did not spend time on getting familiar with the FS part of the problem. As I mentioned there it seems to be a mess.
For me there's a steep learning curve about VFS on FreeBSD I didn't invest time on. It seems it was left as is.

Thanks for the answer. The name similarity is really funny, but it's not me!
Wrt to the issue itself, it seems that nobody picked it up and as a result, the shared folder is totally unusable, at least IMHO. You seemed to have spent a fair bit of time and then gave up. I'm a C dev myself but I'm not familiar at all with the VB code. It seems to be a really difficult task, though.

Thanks for the answer. The name similarity is really funny, but it's not me!
Lol, now that's one hell of a coincidence then. :)
Personally I wouldn't share any FS I care about that way. Not if FreeBSD is a host. But that's my opinion (as subjective as it can be).

It's steep learning curve, for sure. I have my own project with even more steep curve I like. I waste my time there.

BTW, I realized I messed up my 1st post, Win11 is the host and FreeBSD is the guest ... I don't know what I was thinking when I wrote that.

What I'm wondering is that because every file that is opened, even for read only, ends up with a lock, if there is not and obvious part of the Solaris code that has been borrowed and commented out that is in charge of removing locks. I'll try to see if I can find something, unless you have already explored that route.

Locking could happen if you need to make sure you are traversing tree that is not being changed while you do so. Or when you need to stat the inode, etc. But there are few layers to understand that I don't so don't know either.

Back