Solved Virtualbox kernel module fails to load on FreeBSD 13.1-RELEASE

Latest what? Repository?

All my machines are on latest repo and vmm.ko isn't loaded unless I explicitly wish.
VirtualBox still doesn't work it seems the kmod doesn't support the kernel or something.
I have installed/built virtualbox from ports and it works and didn't took much time at all.

Yeah, I feel you. I have the same issue, I used "sync" to recompile only one package (is it possible to compile just one package with ports? I didn't find a way...). Anyway, after I built only kmod, loaded successfully the kernel module. Then I run VM and all of them ended up with black screen and that was it. At that time I gave up and went back to Bhyve. I guess no VirtualBox for me for next 3 months...

Yeah, I feel you. I have the same issue, I used "sync" to recompile only one package (is it possible to compile just one package with ports? I didn't find a way...). Anyway, after I built only kmod, loaded successfully the kernel module. Then I run VM and all of them ended up with black screen and that was it. At that time I gave up and went back to Bhyve. I guess no VirtualBox for me for next 3 months...
Seems that virtualbox is being updated from pkg even if you installed from ports because its has a newer version on pkg but the kmod installed from the ports alone is enough for it to work .

I'm going to add one bit of information that I learned by playing with VirtualBox. If I start the machine with vmm loaded, and later do kldunload vmm, VirtualBox works pretty well. Bridged networking works, but not between host and guest. That is, the guest can reach the internet and other machines on my home 192.168.1.x network, but host and guest won't communicate.
However, if I edit my /etc/rc.conf.d/vm file to read vm_enable="NO", and reboot, then, if I start a VirtualBox guest with bridged networking, the host and guest can communicate. As I don't use VirtualBox very often, I haven't deeply investigated this, and I suspect there's a way around it that I'm simply too ignorant to know, but it might be worth mentioning for those who do a websearch and come across this thread.

I'm following this thread with the same problem - and now trying to make virtualbox from the ports. I seem to have a fundamental problem here, I can't even make it -
I get: make: don't know how to make install. Stop
Not sure if this is the proper thread to ask, I'll start a new thread in the Ports section if necessary, any advise is much appreciated!

It's probably best to start a new thread, as it seems to be a completely different issue. Are you running the command from /usr/ports/emulators/virtualbox-ose? Isn't there a file in there called Makefile? The error sounds as if you're running it from another location.

Looks like I'm having same (?) issue with vboxdrv not matching correct kernel version.

KLD vboxdrv.ko: depends on kernel - not available or version mismatch linker_load_file: /boot/modules/vboxdrv.ko - unsupported file type

Hello.
I have FreeBSD six 13.2-RELEASE-p1 FreeBSD 13.2-RELEASE-p1 GENERIC amd64, I compile
emulators/virtualbox-ose-kmod from source, and get
Code:
KLD vboxdrv.ko: depends on kernel - not available or version mismatch
linker_load_file: /boot/modules/vboxdrv.ko - unsupported file type

Back