Virtualbox Guest Additions on FreeBSD not working

Hi all,

I have been struggling to get Virtualbox's guest additions working on FreeBSD 12.0-CURRENT. I am mostly interested in having the screen resize feature working in X. I installed xorg-drivers and virtualbox-ose. I initialized my /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf file to initially changed Card0's driver to scfb and it worked. I then changed the driver to vboxvideo, and X still works, but resizing the window doesn't do anything.

I also have the following values set in /etc/rc.conf:
Code:
vboxguest_enable="YES"
vboxserver="YES"
vboxserver_flags="--disable-timesync"

Still, resizing the Virtualbox window does not change the display size. I still see scroll bars.
Any ideas?

Thanks!

Topics about unsupported FreeBSD versions

FreeBSD as a Guest on VirtualBox

The problem in here is the fact you are using -CURRENT, what is the development branch (aka developer playground). Anything in -CURRENT can be broken at any time, so unless this problem is reproductive on any supported versions (IDK) we can assume that is related to some -CURRENT issue, then better ask to the proper Mailing List.

The last time I used VirtualBox was not long ago and everything worked as expected on 11.1R.

Btw, why not use BHyVe? There are some tools to simplify the use, like sysutils/vm-bhyve.

EDIT:

An update to emulators/virtualbox-ose just come out:

Fix build on head after r333077.

I just tried it on FreeBSD 11. Same result.

I am running this from a Windows machine. However, does Bhyve have a Virtualbox-like front-end interface?

I just tried it on FreeBSD 11.
11.0 or 11.1? The distinction is important because 11.0 is EoL.

Still, resizing the Virtualbox window does not change the display size. I still see scroll bars.
Double check if the kernel modules are actually loaded. If there's a difference in kernel versions they will fail to load. Check /var/log/Xorg.0.log and verify if vboxvideo is correctly loading. Also make sure to start /usr/local/bin/VBoxClient your ~/.xinitrc:
Code:
[ -x /usr/local/bin/VBoxClient-all ] && /usr/local/bin/VBoxClient-all
(this bit of code checks if it exists before trying to run it. This will prevent errors in case you don't have the client tools installed.)

I got it!! For some reason, it was not working when I was logging in as root, but as a non-root user with a window manager setup, it was working just fine (and that's what I plan to use anyways). Root as just running with stock Xorg, without KDE or the like.

Back