Solved VirtualBox creates small logs in the working directory

Kaminar

I upgraded VirtualBox from virtualbox-ose-6.1.22_1 to virtualbox-ose-6.1.26_3. After the upgrade, VirtualBox began creating small logs in the working directory (see the example bellow) each time the virtual machine was started.

2021-10-17-15-54-52.042-VirtualBoxVM-1348.log
Code:
Log created: 2021-10-17T15:54:52.428574000Z
Process ID:  1348 (0x544)
Parent PID:  1325 (0x52d)
Executable:  /usr/local/lib/virtualbox/VirtualBoxVM
Arg[0]: /usr/local/lib/virtualbox/VirtualBoxVM
Arg[1]: --comment
Arg[2]: FreeBSD
Arg[3]: --startvm
Arg[4]: 131b3663-d604-492b-8aba-aac89e21fa02
Arg[5]: --no-startvm-errormsgbox

Have anybody idea how to stop the creating of these annoying logs?

grahamperrin

Son of Beastie

Incidentally (not a proposed fix), would /var/run be a better path for log files such as this?

OP
Kaminar

Kaminar

Incidentally (not a proposed fix), would /var/run be a better path for log files such as this?
VirtualBox creates detailed logging to the default directory ~/VirtualBox VMs/vm_name/Logs. In my opinion, these small logs are useless and shouldn't even exist.

T-Daemon

Daemon

Have anybody idea how to stop the creating of these annoying logs?
To suppress the logs being created set the VirtualBox environment variable VBOX_LOG_DEST to "nofile" in the users login shell configuration file.

For csh/tcsh in ~/.cshrc:
Code:
setenv VBOX_LOG_DEST nofile

For shells reading ~/.profile:
Code:
export VBOX_LOG_DEST=nofile

grahamperrin

Son of Beastie

There's direction to the discussion about shells.

Please stay on topic. Thank you.

grahamperrin

Son of Beastie

Use the ➕ Quote feature, then go to the topic where you'd like to ❝ Insert quotes…

T-Daemon

Daemon

Use the ➕ Quote feature, then go to the topic where you'd like to ❝ Insert quotes…
My post #11 was a rhetorical question. I know about the "+Quote" function. "Reply" or "+Quote" is not important, It makes no sense to me replying to a comment from one thread in another thread.

The Off-Topic posts in this thread where not exceeding the acceptable amount. It's not like the thread being hijacked. There where 3 Off-Topic posts of 9 posts In this thread .

Without post #8, #10, #11, #12 and this post #13 it would have been 8 posts. Now there are 13, 7 of them Off-Topic.

Look at this, we are discussing useless subjects: How and where should a response be places. I for myself find it more productive to dig for information to the subject. Have you checked your bug report linked above? I dropped a comment there in reply to G. Falsi.

OP
Kaminar

Kaminar

I have one little bit Off-Topic question. When variable VBOX_LOG_DEST is setted in the login shell, it works. But the direct run from another shell VBOX_LOG_DEST=nofile VirtualBox & doesn't work. Why?

T-Daemon

Daemon

I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to do. You say your login shell is shells/bash and, as I understand, the VirtualBox variable in the login shells configuration file (~/.profile or ~/.bash_profile) is working fine.

When you say "another shell" to which another shell are you referring?

I assumed when I asked you which shell you are trying to run VirtualBox from is one of the base shells (sh(1), tcsh(1)) or from ports (shells/zsh, shells/fish, etc).

OP
Kaminar

Kaminar

All shells were bash.

At first, I tried to run VBOX_LOG_DEST=nofile VirtualBox & in the X session from bash, but it didn't work.

For the second time, I shutdown X session and then exported the variable in the login shell export VBOX_LOG_DEST=nofile. I didn't change any shell configuration file. Then I started the X again and run VirtualBox from bash shell VirtualBox & and it worked.

T-Daemon

Daemon

At first, I tried to run VBOX_LOG_DEST=nofile VirtualBox & in the X session from bash, but it didn't work.
I can't reproduce. Executing VBOX_LOG_DEST=nofile VirtualBox & from a bash shell in a X terminal in a running Xorg session works fine on my system. I can't tell why it's not working for you.

I didn't change any shell configuration file.
Why don't you set the VirtualBox variable in a bash configuration file? This way it won't be necessary to define the variable every time executing VirtualBox form a X terminal or care about it when launching VirtualBox from a application launcher.

OP
Kaminar

Kaminar

Why don't you set the VirtualBox variable in a bash configuration file? This way it won't be necessary to define the variable every time executing VirtualBox form a X terminal or care about it when launching VirtualBox from a application launcher.
I know I can set a variable in the bash configuration file. I did it from a shell to quickly test if it works. Because it didn't work for me, I began experimenting with different setup methods.

OP
Kaminar

Kaminar

I tried to run VBOX_LOG_DEST=nofile VirtualBox & again and it works now. I checked to see if I had made a typo the first time, but I didn't. Maybe the reason why it didn't work the first time was some strange state of bash.