Solved VirtualBox black screen

I am trying to install a Linux VM for testing under VirtualBox, I configure the VM indicating Linux OS and loading ISO install cd in cdrom virtual unit.
The VM starts but the screen remains black forever, it doesn't appear any BIOS or cdrom boot menu.
I have changed some parameters like VGA card type, disabled sound, network, proved all acceleration types and changed chipsets but any of the combinations works.

I can't see any error message, but the VM doesnt start.
When I start the VM I get:
Code:
Apr 22 20:48:55 Garrus kernel: vboxdrv: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX VMMR0.r0
Apr 22 20:48:55 Garrus kernel: vboxdrv: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX VBoxDDR0.r0
Apr 22 20:48:55 Garrus kernel: VMMR0InitVM: eflags=40246 fKernelFeatures=0x2 (SUPKERNELFEATURES_SMAP=1)

I have followed that guide to install it but using binary packages instead:

VirtualBox version: virtualbox-ose-6.1.32_3

My loader.conf content:
Code:
security.bsd.allow_destructive_dtrace=0
kern.geom.label.disk_ident.enable="0"
kern.geom.label.gptid.enable="0"
cryptodev_load="YES"
zfs_load="YES"
vmm_load="YES"
vboxdrv_load="YES"

coretemp_load="YES"
kern.racct.enable=1

kern.elf64.aslr.enable=1
kern.elf32.aslr.enable=1

screen.font="6x12"

My rc.conf:
Code:
vboxnet_enable="YES"
devfs_system_ruleset="system"

Any suggestion?

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the same version of binary emulators/virtualbox-ose on FreeBSD 13.0-RELEASE-p11 presently and it works fine for me. I do get the same dmesg lines when I start the VirtualBox.

Are you able to boot any other bootable ISOs in your VirtualBox?

I think VirtualBox typically uses 'VMSVGA' graphics controller for linux virtual machines, but 'VBoxSVGA' should also work fine if the VirtualBox guest modules are available on the guest. I think recent ISOs of some popular linux distros already have these guest modules included in them.

Are you able to boot any other bootable ISOs in your VirtualBox?

I tried Kali and Ubuntu-server but both without success.

I am using 13.0-RELEASE-p11 too running GENERIC kernel.

I tried all available VGA controllers but same result, black screen, i attach an screenshot:
vbox.png

@ddr, which security parameters do you have enabled?
I have the following options:

cat /etc/sysctl.conf
# $FreeBSD$
#
# This file is read when going to multi-user and its contents piped thru
# ``sysctl'' to adjust kernel values. ``man 5 sysctl.conf'' for details.
#

# Uncomment this to prevent users from seeing information about processes that
# are being run under another UID.
#security.bsd.see_other_uids=0
security.bsd.see_other_uids=0
security.bsd.see_other_gids=0
security.bsd.see_jail_proc=0
security.bsd.unprivileged_read_msgbuf=0
security.bsd.unprivileged_proc_debug=0

kern.randompid=1
vfs.zfs.min_auto_ashift=12

kern.init_shutdown_timeout="900"

I have vmm_load="YES" because i have been testing CBSD virtualization software too, do you think it can be interceding with VirtualBox?
I will try to reboot without loading it.

Heh. I've been unable to use VirtualBox on my main workstation, and, as it worked on various other machines, just figured it was something odd in this machine's config. At one point grahamperrin had some suggestions for someone else with the same problem, but that didn't work either. So, after reading this, I tried
Code:
kldunload vmm
And Lo and Behold! It works. I guess it loads because I have a bhyve Windows install. Experimenting, I found that if I then ran my bhyve VM, the vmm kernel automatically reloaded without me having to do anything. I gave thanks to both of you, because it was the combo of posts that gave me the solution. This has been an issue for a long time for me, fixed by you two.

It seems to be automatic. I have no entry for it. As I said, it just seems to autoload if I start bhyve. I use vm-bhyve, perhaps that package loads it, I dunno. I'm just really glad to have fixed the problem.

I just had this issue and unloading vmm fixed it!

Was bizarre as I migrated this installation from an older machine, which that bhyve kernel module didn't support at all, to a newer one that bhyve does support, and in turn, that knocked Virtualbox out =D gotta love computers.

Back