vbox VirtualBox 7.02 and FreeBSD VDI's

So, I upgraded VirtualBox to the latest, and now none of my BSD disks want to load. All are throwing Guru Meditation errors on startup. The weird thing is, my Linux and Windows disks all boot right up with no problems.

Anyone else do this upgrade yet?

It's a Windows 10 64-bit host. I've got several BSD guests, from FreeBSD to MidnightBSD to Ghost, both 32- and 64-bit, and none of my BSD's are wanting to boot. I just downloaded and installed a 64 bit Linux, so it's not a matter of 32 or 64 only being a problem.

I did notice that no BSD OS's were on the list of supported OS's for VB7 or 7.02.

I have the same configuration as you: Windows 10 x64 as host and several FreeBSD as guests.

I was on VirtualBox 7.0.0 and I upgraded to 7.0.2 r154219. With or without upgrade of the VirtualBox extension pack, all my FreeBSD hosts start. No matter, whether they boot on EFI or legacy BIOS.

So, there is something wrong or peculiar on your side. Is your Windows host up to date?

So, specifically, the problem with all my BSD VM's is that I get the BSd splash screen, then a VirtualBox Guru Meditation fatal error pops up. The logs show a "VERR_VMX_INVALID_GUEST_STATE" error. I'm not finding much documentation about that error, other than how to set up VB to handle the error.

The crazy thing is, I tried to create a new FBSD VM, and it immediately kicked the same error. But I checked the EFI for fun, and it booted to the BSD 13-1 release dvd. I'm on an older desktop Lenovo Thinkcentre. I was under the impression that EFI was for new machines and laptops.

Upgraded my Virtualbox this weekend (running on Windows 10), all my existing FreeBSD images still booted as if nothing happened.

Nothing I noticed.
I noticed that EHCI and xHCI support was removed from Extension Pack and is available in the base application. So I hope FreeBSD host will have full USB support in the near future :)

The second change I noticed may be specific for my configuration: I had stability and performance problems with Linux guests on Windows host. Upgrade VB to 7.0 resolved all of them :)

It would be even better if they would add host webcam passthrough by default (since seems there's no way we can get FreeBSD supported by the Extension Pack). The only thing I actually miss. :(

Back