vbox Virtualbox 6.1.48 on windows 11 host not guesting bootonly install.

I was trying this configuration: using windows 11, I installed Virtualbox 7.0 and installed Freebsd 14.0 from bootmin iso cd, everything works fine (no X).

I have 1G ram and vdi 16G, ide controller, and a standard configuration in both system (no special devices attached). (I've tested a couple of parameter change but the error persists)

After installed, I tryied to mount share and the guested Freebsd don't have extension pack for 7.0.1 but only for 6.1.48. It's message warned about "protocol mismatch" so I deduced that this is due to the unparalleled VirtualBox Host and Guest version extension pack.

So I've deleted everything, uninstalled Virtualbox 7 and started with a brand new - Virtualbox 6.1.48 r159471 - to match extension pack available in guest.

After did a clean install, the bootonly image stuck after booting just before start fourth ou fiveth stage (I can't read diagnostic). Some panic or so.

Any suggestion or idea what I'm doing wrong (despite using windows :).

This is a try to avoid persist using wsl for my desktops keeping of windows bioma. After one whole year of tries I'm fed up of WSL (too chubby/bloated/mixed/hidden parts)

TIA for any tip.

PS: I couldn't stop boot diagnostic screen and it reboot fast after panic - it reboot imediattely after panic - so I've made a screen capture included here.

forum01.jpg

Attachments

• forum03.jpg
    forum03.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 44
Thank you so! But.... I finished the installation just now and came here to see if there is any help along the way. In fact, I could install it despite some opinions read here, if I were upgrading a virtual machine, it doesn't seem like it would be an issue.

Although... It seems like it works, but it doesn't!

The guest is loading

forum04.jpg

The service vbox is starting
forum05.jpg

But my keyboard and mouse are still stucked in VirtualBox console, clipboard don't exchange captures and I can't share host "folders" which is my real intention with this arrangement: a superlight fileserver whoever operates scripts on host data files.

If I can't go with this plan on, I pretend to use NFS share put availabe in Freebsd. But it is opposite of my original idea: keep files out of virtual filesystem, laying on available for user who can't operate in VirtualBox/Freebsd or so in cases of emergency without my care.

The problem: I will have to learn how to use nfs and use a windows nfs client ;-)

Seamless operation only works with X, don't want to touch the console any way. Just login with a windows SSH client like PuTTY or MobaXterm. Heck, even the Windows ssh client will work.

Seamless operation only works with X, don't want to touch the console any way. Just login with a windows SSH client like PuTTY or MobaXterm. Heck, even the Windows ssh client will work.
Seamless is only a desired side effect. Nevertheless as a terminal... Yes, it works fine (windows terminal - even ssh - isn't so bad these days).

But my target: map my host dir ("folder") is not working anyway... I'll try install from ports this time.

Back