vbox Virtual Box resolution is 1024x768, how to get it MUCH higher

Good day,

In my quest to get a working Windows desktop on FreeBSD, I've decided to go with VirtualBox.

Here's the problem, VBox will not go beyond 1024x768.

I've tried setting a million parameters from people who have 'solved' this to have none of it work.

Presently on:

14.0-RELEASE-p3

With the following installed:

virtualbox-ose-6.1.50 General-purpose full virtualizer for x86 hardware
virtualbox-ose-additions-6.1.50 VirtualBox additions for FreeBSD guests
virtualbox-ose-kmod-6.1.50 VirtualBox kernel module for FreeBSD

I have windows 11 installed in the VM and it boots fine.

However, it 'seems' that the default driver is defaulting to the 256MB that is configured in the VBox settings for the VM and loading the default Windows driver and not allowing me to move beyond that.

Does anyone have a simple configuration/fix that will allow me to take the resolution to 1920x1080 or beyond?

My monitor is 4096x2160 (aka 4K) @60
My gfx card is AMD 6700 XT
CPU is AMD Ryzen 7700X
32 GB RAM installed

IF there's another emulator out there that will allow me to connect to a graphical interface of Windows, I'll go there but I've already spent some time on VirtualBox.

Paul

You don't need this: "virtualbox-ose-6.1.50 General-purpose full virtualizer for x86 hardware" nor the associated kmod.

Delete it/them with pkg. Just keep virtualbox-ose-additions.

In the VM settings choose VBoxVGA or VBoxSVGA as graphic adapter.

????? You don't need virtualbox to run virtualbox? I'm sorry I don't believe that is correct.

????? You don't need virtualbox to run virtualbox? I'm sorry I don't believe that is correct.
You don't need to install Virtualbox on a Virtualbox guest, just the Virtualbox-ose-guest-additions

If you are running Windows, then in one of the action bar drop downs, I think "Devices" you'll see Install Guest Additions. Do this, and install the Virtualbox Guest Additions on the windows guest. This installs a graphics driver which allows you to expand the resolution dynamically.

You have the right to believe what you want. That doesn't change the facts as I'm writing this from a FreeBSD VirtualBox VM under Windows 11 with 1920x1080 graphic resolution.

Hi, I see the ambiguity I started. I now understand. I have a FreeBSD HOST and I have virtualbox running on it. I've installed a Windows GUEST. I now understand that the Windows Guest has to have additions installed. So... I've now downloaded the 'extensions' pack. It looks to be a gzip file. I gunzip'd and I got a tar file.... If I unpack that, I get a LOT of files/directories. Is there a simple way to mount this on the virtual SATA drive and what are the mountpoints?

Hi, I see the ambiguity I started. I now understand. I have a FreeBSD HOST and I have virtualbox running on it. I've installed a Windows GUEST. I now understand that the Windows Guest has to have additions installed. So... I've now downloaded the 'extensions' pack. It looks to be a gzip file. I gunzip'd and I got a tar file.... If I unpack that, I get a LOT of files/directories. Is there a simple way to mount this on the virtual SATA drive and what are the mountpoints?
You need to install emulators/virtualbox-ose-additions and the from vbox menu mount that cd. (Devices->Insert Guest Additions CD image). After that from Windows Explorer install video drivers and reboot.

I've now downloaded the 'extensions' pack.
Extension pack and guest additions are not the same thing. Here you want additions; side note: FreeBSD host has very limited extension pack support.

Package name explanation:
virtualbox-ose: hypervisor you install on FreeBSD host
virtualbox-ose-additions: additions for FreeBSD guest should you ever run FreeBSD as virtualbox VM
VBoxGuestAdditions.iso: ISO image you can use to install additions for any other supported OS

You didn't mention how you installed VirtualBox. Judging from your question you are not running it headless.
If you installed VirtualBox from binary packages (i.e. pkg) the guest additions iso is not included. There is an option to include it during port build however.

Official page for additions: download.virtualbox.org.
For your current VirtualBox version: VBoxGuestAdditions_6.1.50.iso. This is the ISO you need to mount to Win10 guest and install it.

Back