bhyve Virtio-9p does not work on Windows 10 / 11 with bhyve ?

Hello to everyone.

I'm testing Windows 11 with bhyve and I've found an annoying problem that prevents me from completing some tasks that I'm working on.

It seems that the virtio-9p driver does not work inside the Windows 11 os emulated with bhyve. When Windows 11 is launched,I don't see the folder "mnt" mounted on the root folder of Windows 11. Below you can see which bhyve parameters I've used :

Code:
bhyve -S -c 4 -m 8G -w -H \
-s 0,hostbridge \
-s 1,ahci-cd,/home/marietto/Downloads/virtio/virtio-win-0.1.208.iso \
-s 2,ahci-hd,/mnt/da0p1/Backups/OS/bhyve/Windows/win11.img \
-s 3,fbuf,tcp=0.0.0.0:5900,w=1440,h=900,wait \
-s 8,virtio-net,tap0 \
----> -s 9,virtio-9p,sharename=/mnt \
-s 30,xhci,tablet \
-s 31,lpc \
-l bootrom,/usr/local/share/uefi-firmware/BHYVE_UEFI.fd \
vm0

This is how I make it work under Linux :

Code:
-s 8,virtio-9p,sharename=<host-dir-path>

In the guest I need to do something like this :

Code:
mount -t 9p -o trans=virtio,version=9p2000.L,rw sharename /mnt

Instead on Windows 11 ? Is there a method to mount the folder like in Linux ? Someone of you has been able to share a folder between FreeBSD and Windows 10 using bhyve ? (maybe 11 is too new to allow this)...thanks....

If you connect to your windows with rdp (net/freerdp), you can share much more easily (and dynamically), with the /drive:host argument.

that sounds nice, I will try it. Sure,there are alternatives. Another one is to install the nice tool called "nitroshare" that has been ported to freebsd. But anyway,I was trying to understand if virtio-9p was supported by windows. And the answer is below :

YanVugenfirer

-s 9,virtio-9p,sharename=/mnt \

This is not the right device. The right device is virtio-fs.
Not knowing bvyve, this probably should be -s 9,virtio-fs,<virtio-fs specific parameters>

unfortunately If I do :

Code:
-s 9,virtio-fs,sharename=/mnt \

it does not work.

Last edited:
Back