video geometry while installing

Hello Community,

I'm new to FreeBSD and installed it a couple of days ago.
I was wondering if my hardware (Lenovo ThinkCentre M58p) is too old or too exotic when I saw that the video was disturbed while installing. The Monitor is also flickering.
Please see the photos.
The first menu appears OK, but after loading the kernel, I think I get the wrong text geometry on my console.
Now I know, that I can add ' hw.vga.textmode=1 ' to /boot/loader.conf which solves this issue.
But then I can't switch (CTRL + ALT + F1...) between X and the consoles anymore. The box hangs after switching from X to a console.

Adding ' i915kms_load="YES" ' to /boot/loader.conf works, but it takes a while before the console enters the new video mode. With this setting the flickering time is shorter, but everything else works fine.

Do I have to compile a custom kernel to solve this issue?
I would like to enable a splash image while booting, that doesn't flicker.

Thanks for reading and any advice.

boot_1.jpg

boot_2.jpg

No need to compile a kernel.
Try your monitors function to center/calibrate the picture as it looks a bit of centre. See how that turns out.
(at least a bit older lcd monitors don't do that automatically)

before the boot use option
3. Escape to loading prompt

Then select different resulution using

gop list
gop set #
boot

To make this mode setting permanent save it to /boot/loader.rc.local with one line "mode <number>"

Thanks for your help.
Try your monitors function to center/calibrate the picture as it looks a bit of centre. See how that turns out.
(at least a bit older lcd monitors don't do that automatically)
I think the settings are fine, never had any problems.

gop list
gop set #
boot
I don't have this command availible.

Let's assume I know nothing about FreeBSD (not that hard), my monitor settings are fine and want to install FreeBSD.
I downloaded the https://download.freebsd.org/ftp/re.../11.2/FreeBSD-11.2-RELEASE-amd64-memstick.img image.
copied it to my my usb stick with:
dd if=FreeBSD-11.2-RELEASE-amd64-memstick.img of=/dev/da0 bs=1M conv=sync

Then I boot the box... see what I get.

I know how to fix this after installation. But I think there is a basic problem with the console settings after booting the installer.

boot_4.JPG

My box (Lenovo ThinkCentre M58p) hasn't UEFI support.
I attach the dmidecode output.

Attachments

• dmidecode.txt
    17.3 KB · Views: 190
Thanks for clearing it out.

I did set ' boot_mute="YES" ' in loader.conf and I get this very nice white logo.
But until the i915kms modul is not loaded i have a flickering monitor output.
So there is no way to config the fb console to avoid this flickering?

And wouldn't it be better then, if the installer run in ' hw.vga.textmode=1' to avoid this console issue while installing FreeBSD?
Or is this a problem for UEFI supported boards?

Wouldn't it be better if the installer run in ' hw.vga.textmode=1' to avoid this console issue while installing FreeBSD?
I'm unsure how often this actually happens. Setting this by default may actually cause more problems with other types of machines. So it's a bit of a balancing act and they typically try to use settings that work for most people.

Back