Video Driver Issues (Resolution and KDE3/4)

Ok, I changed over to the Intel Driver... pain in the but to get it working properly again :p but now its running at 1280x1024 @ 60Hz, some choppy-ness when I move windows around, and it doesn't fill my monitor at (size-wise) the moment but Im sure if I adjust the Display size I can fix that... So anyway.

Using this as my guide, http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/articles/compiz-fusion/index.html , I installed compiz-fusion the first time, and didn't uncheck the GNOME option but did check the KDE option, and it asked a few other questions which I left alone (checked the KDE option because it seemed like a good idea since Im running KDE... bad idea? as root). I made the Changes to the Xorg.conf like it says to, and rebooted and it was giving a couldn't load display error..(I did the compiz-fusion install from a Konsole.. bad idea?)

Not realizing that the mistakes were because I didn't have my monitor setup properly in the xorg.conf I proceeded to try and add the pkg for compiz-fusion which I thought worked. In any event I tried adding it a few more times reconfigured my xorg.conf and got back to kde. were I proceeded to try and add compiz-fusion again with the "make install clean" from the proper port folder. And this is what Im getting at the End of the process. And its not asking me the questions like it was the very first time. and I've tried this process a few times.

Code:
Making install in doc
gmake[1]: Entering directory `/usr/ports/audio/libcanberra/work/libcanberra-0.10/doc'
gmake[2]: Entering directory `/usr/ports/audio/libcanberra/work/libcanberra-0.10/doc'
gmake[2]: Nothing to be done for `install-exec-am'.
gmake[2]: Nothing to be done for `install-data-am'.
gmake[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/ports/audio/libcanberra/work/libcanberra-0.10/doc'
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/ports/audio/libcanberra/work/libcanberra-0.10/doc'
gmake[1]: Entering directory `/usr/ports/audio/libcanberra/work/libcanberra-0.10'
gmake[2]: Entering directory `/usr/ports/audio/libcanberra/work/libcanberra-0.10'
gmake[2]: Nothing to be done for `install-exec-am'.
if test -z "" ; then \
                for p in libcanberra.schemas ; do \
                        GCONF_CONFIG_SOURCE=xml:merged:/usr/local/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults  --makefile-install-rule ./$p ; \
                done ; \
        fi
--makefile-install-rule: not found
gmake[2]: *** [install-data-local] Error 127
gmake[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/ports/audio/libcanberra/work/libcanberra-0.10'
gmake[1]: *** [install-am] Error 2
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/ports/audio/libcanberra/work/libcanberra-0.10'
gmake: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
*** Error code 2

Stop in /usr/ports/audio/libcanberra.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/audio/libcanberra.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/sysutils/gnome-control-center.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/x11-wm/compiz.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/x11-wm/compiz.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/x11-wm/compiz-fusion.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/x11-wm/compiz-fusion.
#

So, I figured I would try and start it anyway. (not as root, in a Konsole)

Code:
$ compiz --replace --sm-disable --ignore-desktop-hints ccp &
compiz: not found
$ emerald --replace &
emerald: not found
$ LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=1 compiz --replace --ignore-desktop-hints ccp &
compiz: not found
$

I get the same errors when I try and run as root aswell. What do ya thinks going on here? Any suggestions on how to fix it? Im gunna run "portmaster -a" and maybe it will update everything and fix itself.. not sure if that will work but it seems like a good idea for the moment.
Code:
# portsnap fetch update
# portmaster -a

Check the output of 'pkg_info | grep compiz' to see if you even have compiz-fusion installed from packages, since you tried to install it that way. If not, you'll have to install it somehow.

I can't really help with the build error. Sounds like something that should be reported to the maintainer of the audio/libcanberra port.

You can always get back to the configuration questions in any port by running 'make config' in that port directory.

Adam

Code:
# pkg_info | grep compiz
compiz-bcop-0.6.0_1 Code generator for Compiz Fusion Plugins
compizconfig-backend-gconf-0.6.0_2 The gconf backend for CompizConfig
compizconfig-python-0.6.0.1_1 Python bindings for the compizconfig library
libcompizconfig-0.6.0 An alternative configuration system for Compiz
#

You have a few older compiz related ports installed, but not compiz or any of the compiz-fusion plugins, and certainly not the latest available in the ports tree.

Adam

ok portsnap went good, started the portmaser -a and it was going good until this:
[code}
===>>> Returning to update check of installed ports

===>>> Launching child to update xf86-video-vga-4.1.0_1 to xf86-video-vga-4.1.0_3

===>>> Port directory: /usr/ports/x11-drivers/xf86-video-vga
===>>> This port is marked BROKEN
===>>> Needs to be removed

===>>> If you are sure you can build it, remove the
BROKEN line in the Makefile and try again.

===>>> Update for xf86-video-vga-4.1.0_1 failed
===>>> Aborting update

#
[/code]

would I pkg_delete that? or go to the port directory and uninstall it? if so, what would the command be?

the make config only lets me make one change, there was a bunch more options the firt time.

Yes, you can pkg_delete that.

If you ran 'make config' in the x11-wm/compiz-fusion port directory, you are only changing the configuration options for that one port, not all the ports that it pulls in (such as x11-wm/compiz).

Adam

i see.. hmm.. well I need to get vista off the second partition and re-install XP, so I just download the 7.1 DVD burn it and install that, with kde3.5 , compiz-fusion, right from the there, would make my life easier I think. So Just so I can get it right the first time. what options do I need to change when installing it?

Select KDE option and unselect the GNOME selection, anything else? Oh and while Im thinking about it is there a wireless manager that I can use in kde 3.5 like a gui. one I can install at the same time.

bsd-airtools says file not found, and desktopbsd-tools didn't work either, neither did kwifimanager .. Im using the locations from freshports. it gives me these errors

Code:
$ su
Password:
# cd /usr/ports/net-mgmt/bsd-airtools/ && make install clean
===>  bsd-airtools-0.3 broken by removal of wicontrol ioctls from if_wavelan_ieee.h.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/net-mgmt/bsd-airtools.
# pkg_add -r bsd-tools
Error: FTP Unable to get [url]ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-7.1-release/Latest/bsd-tools.tbz:[/url] File unavailable (e.g., file not found, no access)
pkg_add: unable to fetch 'ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-7.1-release/Latest/bsd-tools.tbz' by URL
#

ok so I removed that package and started the portmaster -a again. and it went for long time and got to this:
Code:
===>>> Port directory: /usr/ports/x11-drivers/xf86-video-vesa
===>>> Launching 'make checksum' for x11-drivers/xf86-video-vesa in background
===>>> Gathering dependency list for x11-drivers/xf86-video-vesa from ports
===>>> Starting recursive 'make config' check
===>>> Recursive 'make config' check complete for x11-drivers/xf86-video-vesa

===>>> Launching child to update xf86-video-via-0.2.2_2 to xf86-video-via-0.2.2_3

===>>> Port directory: /usr/ports/x11-drivers/xf86-video-via
        ===>>> This port is marked IGNORE
        ===>>> requires pciVideoPtr typedef

===>>> If you are sure you can build it, remove the
               IGNORE line in the Makefile and try again.

===>>> Update for xf86-video-via-0.2.2_2 failed
===>>> Aborting update

#

what config file do I edit to fix this?

what the heck is wrong with my system.. another one...

Code:

===>>> The x11/xorg-protos port has been deleted: Not really necessary
===>>> Aborting update

#

It gets so far then I get one of these, and I have to fix it then start the entire process over, how do I fix this one?

Back