Via Nano fileserver mobo recommendations (NAS, ZFS etc)

feralape said:
Why not have a script that touches and deletes a file every 7.5 seconds? :p

They'll still time out at least once every two minutes even while downloading multi-gigabyte files. I think the on-board drive cache in conjunction with the kernel's filesystem cache allows it.

In other words, I'm pretty sure a simple [cmd=""]touch foo; rm foo[/cmd] won't ever make it to the platter.

fronclynne said:
They'll still time out at least once every two minutes even while downloading multi-gigabyte files. I think the on-board drive cache in conjunction with the kernel's filesystem cache allows it.

In other words, I'm pretty sure a simple [cmd=""]touch foo; rm foo[/cmd] won't ever make it to the platter.

Actually, such a solution did work for me a couple of years ago with a similar problem.

If you are open to something other than a VIA, I would look at the D510 Intel combo that there are a few threads about here. It runs 64-bit FreeBSD and supports a decent amount of RAM while still being low power. I set one up as a fileserver + misc services and it's performed impressively.

The D525 *should* be out any time soon. I'm wanting for the Super Micro board.

It'll have DDR3 and slightly faster clock speed (1.8 instead of 1.6). Same power usage.

Super Micro has nice boards. The D510 ones has dual intel giga-nics and 6 sata ports.

Back