Solved Version-specific editions of the FreeBSD Handbook

if you are unaware

The FreeBSD Project is for documentation but lacks a suitable title.

As far as I can tell, the home page link to FreeBSD Documentation | The FreeBSD Project disappeared in May 2021 and so, archives became somewhat obscure.

The abstract of the latest version of the Handbook descibes it as for FreeBSD 13.0-RELEASE, FreeBSD 12.2-RELEASE and FreeBSD 11.4-RELEASE but not (no mention of) CURRENT. There are directions to the archive for previous versions of the Handbook, however – given the coverage specified in the abstract – I doubt that a newcomer would look elsewhere i.e. the archive for a version for 13.0-RELEASE.

PS I'm half-tempted to open a bug for the title of the documentation page, but maybe better to wait until PR 257379 is fixed. FreeBSD bug 259371 – Improve Documentation <titles>: Include "Documentation" in titles

Last edited:
The preamble to the latest version of the Handbook descibes it as for FreeBSD 13.0-RELEASE, FreeBSD 12.2-RELEASE and FreeBSD 11.4-RELEASE but not (no mention of) CURRENT.
The published handbook only deals with supported versions. -CURRENT is not a supported version. That preable should be changed (and various other parts of the handbook) because 11.4 is not supported anymore. So anything that deals with 11 should be removed now. The handbook often lags behind a bit because it's written separately. And, much like everything else on FreeBSD, anyone can submit suggestions or changes.

Is that first link (12.0-RELEASE) correct? It seems to point to 13.0, the same as the next one.
yeah...
1634912816466.png

Back