pkg -vv
returns
osversion 1302001

freebsd-version -kru

returns

13.2 RELEASE
13.2 RELEASE
13.2 RELEASE

I recently ran pkg update on a fairly fresh install of 13.2 but, as I understand it, that should only update the packages not upgrade to 13.3

Why is package trying to install the 13.3 release of zziplib when everything else says I'm running 13.2?

Any way to workaround this?

OK - I'm a bonehead!

I looked back through my notes and I may have run pkg upgrade instead of pkg update

So - what have I done? Have I upgraded all of my packages without upgrading my OS system?

Solutions?

Dare I try:

freebsd-update fetch
freebsd-update install
reboot
freebsd-update install

or do I need more information on the first line?

freebsd-update -r 13.3-RELEASE upgrade

13.2 is EOL so you might as well upgrade, yes.

Just watch out for the gotchas around /etc/passwd and /etc/ssh/sshd_config updates if you've not dealt with that before.

Then once you are on 13.3 you can see how packages go.

OK, here goes nothing!

UPDATE:

I got a bunch of messages about ///usr/include/c++/v1/__***

not being a directory

But it seems to have rebooted OK.

I don't know about ssh but I was prompted to enter vi and edit the password file. A quick google on another computer indicated that the descriptive lines in the file are no longer allowed and have to be deleted. I deleted all of the "decriptive" lines and saved the file and the install proceeded.

I don't use ssh so maybe I don't have a ssh.config file and maybe if you do you need to do the same editing to it?

The missing files in ///usr/include/c++/v1/__***

were solved by creating the two missing directories __string and __tuple and then using the fetch command to go get the missing files one at a time and put them where they belong.

Grab a pad and write down the list of files that failed to load so you know what you need to get, there were 3 in the __string directory and 9 in the __tuple directory.

The command I used to fetch them was:

fetch https://raw.githubusercontent.com/freebsd/freebsd-src/releng/13.3/contrib/llvm-project/libcxx/include/__string/char.traits.h

Then change the end directory and filenames and repeat to get all 12 missing files.

This is from another post here on this forum so if my instructions are not clear search around and read the other thread as well.

Back