vbox vboxdrv didn't load on freeBSD 12.4 kernel..How can we solve this?

Amministratore_ Windows PowerShell 27_12_2022 04_22_04.jpg

Please show us the output of the following commands (example for FreeBSD 13.1 shown):
Code:
[f13.154] $ file /boot/modules/vboxvfs.ko
/boot/modules/vboxvfs.ko: ELF 64-bit LSB relocatable, x86-64, version 1 (FreeBSD), not stripped
[f13.155] $ pkg info -a | grep virtualbox
virtualbox-ose-additions-6.1.36_1 VirtualBox additions for FreeBSD guests
virtualbox-ose-kmod-6.1.36     VirtualBox kernel module for FreeBSD
[f13.156] $ freebsd-version -kru
13.1-RELEASE-p3
13.1-RELEASE-p3
13.1-RELEASE-p5

Error messages like
Code:
KLD ... depends on kernel - not available or version mismatch

linker_load_file ... unsupported file type
usually are indications of a version mismatch between kernel and a kernel module (vboxdrv.ko in this case). Kernel modules need to be build against the exact installed kernel version.

Have you maybe upgraded the system from 12.3 to 12.4 and did not upgraded all installed packages?

Try pkg update -f, then pkg upgrade.

If that doesn't help pkg delete -f virtualbox-ose-kmod , pkg install virtualbox-ose-kmod.

Still vboxdrv.ko doesn't KLD load, as last resort install emulators/virtualbox-ose-kmod from port (this needs the FreeBSD source installed under /usr/src).

Not really i'd just install fresh version of 12.4-RELEASE and then leave how it is , quarterly branch and after installed all the packages of my own interest, all was just fine ,only this issue with Virtualbox, and when I launch it through the terminal :virtualbox &, look there is also an issue about gtk depends. so basically this is 12.4-Release-p0 and there isn't yet an upgrade. Also i tried like suggested by T-Daemon and rebooted the system but look nothing happened P.S but i just reinstalled by packages , i should try with port?

i just reinstalled by packages , i should try with port?
Packages won't work. Current packages (quarterly or latest) are build for the 12.3 branch until it reaches EoL. Until then 12.3 and 12.4 share the same remote package repositories. There aren't separate repositories for the 12 branch.

Any kernel module to be used on 12.4, like vboxdrv.ko, needs to be installed from port.

Execute pkg delete -f virtualbox-ose-kmod, re-install from port. Make sure /usr/src is populated with the 12.4 FreeBSD source.

Thanks T-Daemon to your suggestion look I solved the issue about vboxdrv.ko and virtualbox-ose-kmod, but when i launch virtualbox though the terminal the hypervisor crashed and typed virtualbox coredump. I tried to build virtualbox-ose with my personal flags' setup but it needs a lot data when my internet connection is lte, so yet near to finish when I's making it, to do texlive need to download about 3 Gb and a lot others dependencies.Which is the correct setup of flags to grant low data traffic consumption? with standard functionality...thanks in advance

Last edited:
thanks again t-Daemon ..and happy New year's for every FreeBSD buddies;)
Look after come back today flat data internet connection i was be able to complite virtualbox-ose with patience, texlive llvm take a lot to build..but the the result look nice and I'm proud to share with you :
FreeBSD 12.4-RELEASE - VMware Workstation 17 Player.jpg

Make sure /usr/src is populated with the 12.4 FreeBSD source.
Hi,

I had the similar problem. After upgrading to 12.4 I couldn't load vboxdrv.ko.

I hope that my /usr/src was updated properly after upgrading with freebsd-update.

I then updated the ports and then recompiled emulators/virtualbox-ose-kmod. The vboxdrv.ko was loaded successfully but I noticed a kernel panic when I tried to run VirtualBox in headless mode.

So in the next step I compiled emulators/virtualbox-ose from ports but the result was the same: kernel panic :(

I wanted to start my VMs, so I upgraded system to 13.1-RELEASE. Than I upgraded ports and I the VirtualBox is working again. And I lerned: Do not upgrade the system until the packages are upgraded to the new version :(

xedos832: As I can see in your screenshot you have Arch Linux running in VirtualBox on FreeBSD which is also started as virtual machine in VMware Workstation Player and your main host is Windows? ;)

Regards,
Marcin

Back