Solved Delete

• Thread starter Deleted member 69948
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 69948

I was trying out GhostBSD and it seems really buggy, so I decided to install FreeBSD myself. I managed to make it to the desktop GUI, but I'm getting these errors. I'm obviously running FreeBSD in VirtualBox. I read the instructions here: https://docs.freebsd.org/en/books/handbook/virtualization/#virtualization-guest-virtualbox and there is one step that pertains to the video driver that I didn't do, because when I open the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file it's empty, and from the other tutorials I read I don't think it's supposed to be. Is this the step that I need to complete in order to resolve these error messages?

Xorg will automatically recognize the vboxvideo driver. It can also be manually entered in /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
Section "Device"
Identifier "Card0"
Driver "vboxvideo"
VendorName "InnoTek Systemberatung GmbH"
BoardName "VirtualBox Graphics Adapter"
EndSection

Attachments

• VBError.png
    VBError.png
    324.6 KB · Views: 97
Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I couldn't use su as it would say: su sorry. So I tried to use this fix: https://graspingtech.com/freebsd-fix-su-sorry-message/

Step 1: Restart the server, then press 2 to boot into single user mode.

FreeBSD Boot Single User

Step 2: Make the file system writable by running the following command:

mount -u -w /

Step 3: Assuming your user is called sysadmin, run the following command to add the user to the wheel group:

pw usermod sysadmin -G wheel

But now after rebooting the KDE login screen shows but after I login the screen turns black. See attachment.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    9.4 KB · Views: 82
Delete

Attachments

• xorg.png
    xorg.png
    15 KB · Views: 100
  • error.png
    error.png
    14.4 KB · Views: 88
  • ghostrcconf.png
    ghostrcconf.png
    18.7 KB · Views: 95
  • loader.png
    loader.png
    12.6 KB · Views: 85
  • xorg.png
    xorg.png
    19.5 KB · Views: 106
Last edited by a moderator:
This seems to describe the exact issue I'm having. But I'm running GhostBSD without issue, and I cannot find a guest additions for FreeBSD. https://linuxlia.com/2021/01/21/vboxclient-failed-to-get-display-change-request/?amp

One weird thing I noticed is that my GhostBSD doesn't seem to have an xorg.conf file. It has two xorg.conf folders, but no actual file. Does this make sense? And GhostBSD is working in VB unlike my FreeBSD VB.

I run FreeBSD 13.0-RELEASE-p4 under VirtualBox on a Windows 8.1 physical host.
The only configuration comes out of /usr/local/share/X11/xorg.conf.d, and those files came with X11 (i.e. there is no Xorg.conf).
It works perfectly well in full screen mode. However I don't use KDE (I use fvwm(1)).
I have attached the start log for X11. Comparing it with your own may help.
Have you installed the emulators/virtualbox-ose-additions package?
There is no way I would start with KDE or Gnome. Just get twm(1) going first, and move on when it's functional.

Attachments

• Xorg.0.log.txt
    21.7 KB · Views: 89
I run FreeBSD 13.0-RELEASE-p4 under VirtualBox on a Windows 8.1 physical host.
The only configuration comes out of /usr/local/share/X11/xorg.conf.d, and those files came with X11 (i.e. there is no Xorg.conf).
It works perfectly well in full screen mode. However I don't use KDE (I use fvwm(1)).
I have attached the start log for X11. Comparing it with your own may help.
Have you installed the emulators/virtualbox-ose-additions package?
There is no way I would start with KDE or Gnome. Just get twm(1) going first, and move on when it's functional.
Yes, I have virtualbox-ose-additions installed. Also, I have options when I log in: Plasma (X11), Plasma (Wayland), User Session. Yes, I have already tried all three. If I select user session then I get this primitive desktop environment. And there are no video errors.

Attachments

• wm.png
    wm.png
    19.8 KB · Views: 102
I FIXED IT!!! I just had to fix the file thing with the tool thing and now it works. No more errors and I'm in fullscreen mode.

Back